L.A. Coxe Reels - Questions To John Elder About Article

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Re: L.A. Coxe Reels - Questions To John Elder About Article

Post by m3040c »

A topic about experimental reels would be a difficult topic to supply information to because most experimental products are kept secret while they are being built and reused or destroyed after their useful life is over. So information about these reels goes into the Dark Ages of history. From time to time the information, photos or the reel itself may escape from the factory, but, that is a rare and unusual occurrence.

In the Penn world, the engineering department usually used stock reels to try out part or new concepts. These two photos are of stock reels with experimental parts.

The history about either of these reels is pure speculation, except for the fact they did come from Penn.

Funny chain drives were mentioned:
All I know about this chain drive experimental reel is that it origins go back to the Penn engineering department and it is the first high speed reel made by Penn. Looks like it may be a bit rough on the fingers.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Would be tough fishing uphill with that last reel, Mike! :shock: ...but then, that's always a challenge anyway :D

Re using stock reels to try things on, that's one thing that bugs me about this one...ie, why not a Bronson version instead of the LA screwed model?? Then, it occurred that the Bronson reel, which was center pin/quick take-down style, would likely not be amenable to the modifications shown here.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Would be tough fishing uphill with that last reel, Mike! :shock: ...but then, that's always a challenge anyway :D

Re using stock reels to try things on, that's one thing that bugs me about this one...ie, why not a Bronson version instead of the LA screwed model?? Then, it occurred that the Bronson reel, which was center pin/quick take-down style, would likely not be amenable to the modifications shown here.
Fishing uphill, that is sort of like casting into the high end of a waterfall. :)

Figuring out the reason of why an engineering department does what it does, may require insight into the inside information of what the criteria is. The logic is not always apparent. :bash:
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Tightlines666 wrote: I would he intetested in learning more of these non-gear drive train (or chain driven) multiplying reels of which you speak. Are there relevent threads here on the topic?

John
Here is one of my favorite non-gear driven reels. The band drives this 2 1/2 to 1 multiplier and also drives the level-wind. Not a big game reel but it followed me home one day, I fed it and now it won't leave.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the Kitchen, The "Kitchen's" reel that is.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I would he intetested in learning more of these non-gear drive train (or chain driven) multiplying reels
Not a conventional type or multiplying reel, but Mepps used a chain driven bail on their very popular Super Mecca, part #7304.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Well, as long as we're wandering a bit:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Neat reels! Ed, that one of yours makes the notion of a belt drive less far fetched.

I don't know that there would be enough room or that the band on my reel would stretch enough, but if you put that rubber on in a figure 8 style, then it would both add more "drag" and also make the spool turn opposite the crank like it normally should if mounted on the top of the reel. But I think that's asking a lot with this setup unless you changed materials for the belt.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

m3040c wrote: All I know about this chain drive experimental reel is that it origins go back to the Penn engineering department and it is the first high speed reel made by Penn. Looks like it may be a bit rough on the fingers.
OSHA would have had a ball with that one!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, I'm pulling up this great thread about All Things Coxe for a couple reasons. First, there are a number of pics that were lost because of what the A-holes at Photobucket did to us recently. I think the missing pics are primarily early on, from Mike and Ed...if you guys are feeling bored one day soon and have memories about what pics those might have been, it would be great to re-insert them using the ORCA pic host and make this the great info source it was in the past.

Second, I have tripped across yet another anomaly...at least to me and a passel of other Coxe collectors I've queried. Larry Lauve was visiting and he noticed something that I had overlooked in my nest of LA Coxe reels....note the difference between these two "screwed" versions of a 9/0 LA Coxe:

For those not well versed in these reels, the typical screwed model is shown on the right, with 5 screws about an inch from the edge of the plate. These screw's only mission is to hold the HR plate onto the inner metal faceplate that supports the foot and pillar screws. The reel on the left has the screws near the edge and in line with the pillars. I have not yet had time to open this reel for a further look, but almost certainly, those screws serve the dual purpose of supporting pillars as well as holding on the HR side plate! The foot must be further supported on the inside, since there is only one screw in that location. Thus, there may be further surprises when I get it opened up.

If any of you have other examples of this style, please report in. Coxe tried a lot of different things and this is yet another example. Some reading this thread might think it's a Missing Link to another direction the thread took for a bit :shock:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Great reel John, I went through all my photos of Coxe reels and could not find another one like yours. You just gotta love all the variations! Have you heard from anyone else about this newly discovered "Screw in pillar" style Coxe reel yet?

Here is another Coxe reel I'd like to throw out there for examination. This is a 6/0 screw model with a German silver bearing cover on the front plate complete with holes so it can be removed similar to the ones on the "Swordfish" reel. Also, there is no oil port on the front plate and a brass foot like the Swordfish" reel. The reel also has a brass handle retailing nut. All in all a pretty cool and unique(?) Coxe reel. Has anyone else seen one like this?

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Have yet to find another. I'm eager to get it opened up for inspection but just been tied up with other projects. Next week!

And no, have never seen the configuration on your reel either!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Okay, so my eagerness was tempered by 20 other projects and I have yet to clean this alternate screw pattern Coxe 9/0. However, I popped the cover to see if there were major differences in the internal workings of the latter and the short answer is no...the only difference I can see (without pulling the spool...will report in if surprises later) is that the 5 screws holding both pillars and faceplate in that "oddball" reel are about twice as long as those in a "Standard" 9/0 screwed model Coxe reel (refered to in ads as the "Catalina Swordfish-Tuna Reel"). One of the foot screws is also a faceplate screw...the other three are internal as normally seen. Below are pics comparing the two:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

here is my LA Coxe 9/0.... fyi
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Great stuff John, nice photos. I wonder why the variation? Bored perhaps? Just messing around? An early version? A later version? Tried it but didn't like it?

In Bandini's book on Coxe he is quoted as saying - "I pretty much knew what I wanted before I started in, but God only knows how many reels I tore down, before I got what I wanted and put my first reels on the market. The best thing I can say for them is that I haven't changed them materially since then - the principles are just the same today as they were then." - and he never really did .... except for a few great little examples like your reel John.

It is always great to see something different pop up and then try and figure out why the maker did it that way. If the reel gives up any of its secrets and you come to any conclusions be sure to let us know.

As always, Thanks for sharing!

Daniel, your reel looks like a beauty.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.