Feurer Brothers Flip reel schematic needed

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

Feurer Brothers Flip reel schematic needed

Post by Airexguy »

I'm looking for a copy of the Feurer Bros. Flip reel.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

werpmolens
Frequent Board Poster

Post by werpmolens »

Hello,

Thanks for posting, I have such a reel also, but it is so weird, rare, have been playing with it for some hours.
Can somebody explain, whats the need of two line guides?
Turning the handle backwards while the spool is turning the normal way?

Jan
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Jan, you know it "flips" for right and left hand using that lever in the rear, right? I don't recall two line guides, but it's likely what you indicate is in play with crank on left and the other, with crank on right
werpmolens
Frequent Board Poster

Post by werpmolens »

Yes I am right handed.

Why does the rotor spins free when you give the handle a strong turn.?

Rare reel for sure.

Jan
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I'm at work and will have to get it in hand, but I imagine what you see is the result of this really unique gearing that allows the reel to wind forward regardless of whether you crank forward or reverse..pretty neat. As I recall, you can just let the crank handle hang down and wind line just by rocking the crank back and forth a quarter-half turn. For this to work, the gears would certainly have to be pretty free-wheeling.
werpmolens
Frequent Board Poster

Post by werpmolens »

Hi,

If you have time later I would like your comment on this.
The reel spins free after a turn of the handle but than the spool stays stationary, it moves only up and down when the handle is used as on a normal reel.
The line will come not correct on the spool.

Jan
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

Info. on my flip reel

Post by Airexguy »

Mine operates the same way as the previous post and mine also has two line guides. I believe the one on the bail wire directs the line to the roller bail, but I could be wrong. The reason I was looking for a schematic is to try and figure out what function the STOPPER button has. I have removed the side cover to see how it functions and it slides a cam onto the large brass gear which is attached to the spool housing, however there is no change in how the reel operates when the STOPPER button is engaged or disengaged. Its a strange reel for sure and HEAVY to say the least. The Feurer Bros. did not make this reel as it was made in JAPAN.

Thanks again John for the schematic. I wanted it to check to see if all the parts are in the reel, but I think its complete, it just works a whole lot different that any other reel I've handled.
werpmolens
Frequent Board Poster

Post by werpmolens »

Hi,

I also noticed the stopper, but it does work, the stopper places a small part to the pinion gear and it just gives some extra noise. :)

No idea what the reason is.

Jan
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

Stopper button

Post by Airexguy »

You're right, I forgot to mention that it did add an extra light click to all the clicking and buzzing that is going on when you turn the handle. Strange reel to say the least. I added this one to the rest of my F.B. collection even though they didn't manufacture it.

An interesting note; Airex/Div. of Lionel was a distributor for the Record reel in the early 1960's and when F.B. bought up the Airex line they also ended up with the Record reel, at least in the number 400 Aristocrat that I have. The main body and side cover show the grinding results which removed all of the Record information.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ok...got home and not sure how much this adds, but note that "stopper", as it's called on the reel housing, is called an "anti-reverse lever" on the schematic. The write-up states:

"The basid design incorporates an integral anti-reverse device so that the spool can never turn backward. No backlash!" this would seem to me to be independent of that button...all I get is the mild "clicker" noise when the button is pushed forward. It does reduce the free-wheeling of the spool when you give a good crank to throw the bail...perhaps that's where they think backlash would occur and this reduces the uncontrolled spinning.

They go on:

"To avoid loss of lures during casts, a specially-engineereed safety catch prevents premature closing of bail until you are ready to retrieve. this feature is not found in any other reel" I'm not sure what this refers to...nothing in the schematic and no button, so must be in the nature of the gear mechanism. The locking mechanism that holds the bail open appears to be like most any mitchell in design.

The other relevant statement:

"An extra side roller insures a level line at all stages of casting and rewinding"...so that's why 2 rollers.

Ah, just found another tidbit on the back page where they are showing how to surf cast. they add a comment at the last step:

"5. "Fish on" retrieve. When fighting heavy fish use anti-reverse lock at all times."

I still confess to a lack of understanding on that one since it won't reverse anyway...this must be some sort of back-up to apply when reel is under stress? I think I need to load mine up with line and go throw it a few times...perhaps all will become clear?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Feurer Brothers Flip reel schematic needed

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I've had this FB202 Flip Reel for 3 or 4 years and finally got around to breaking it down and cleaning it up. I was doing some research and found a couple of old discussions about them but there aren't any photos so I thought I'd resurrect this old thread and add some pics & comments for posterity.

Broken down and cleaned parts. The counter balance weight is raw lead and held in with 2 screws. You have to slide the bail trip lever into the slot before inserting the counter balance, otherwise you can't get the lever in. The counter balance comes out first, otherwise you can't get the bail trip lever out. It's an interesting tight fit, for sure!

The main shaft tube and the anti-reverse dogs & gears.

Here's a look at the inside gearing. It has two anti-reverse mechanisms, one at the front and one at the rear. The A/R dogs lock into the small gears on the main shaft tube. There's also a a nylon spacer/washer under the oscillation gear, and they used an idler gear to keep the front and oscillation gears turning in the same direction.

All of the cast parts, including the oscillation block, have the # 202 cast on them. No where is there any stamp or indication of whether it was made in Japan or the US, although I confident it was made in Japan.

Pinion bearing assembled & rotor cup. There's no clip or plate to retain the bearing. It just sits in the recessed area at the front of the body.

Inside rotor & back of spool.

The "stopper"/click mechanism attached to the side plate with 2 small screws into the back of the stopper slide button.

If you look real close and/or enlarge those pics you can see the little springs on the A/R and stopper/clicker dogs. They're the smallest springs I've ever seen on a spinning reel, and they work perfectly, too! They're so tiny I didn't have the guts to remove them. I just cleaned them, nervously, in place.

Turn the lever at the rear of the reel to rotate the body.

Rotate the body and it's now right hand crank. The slide button next to the handle says "Stopper" but it's purpose is to activate a light clicker. The rotor free spins in the forward motion when you stop cranking the handle and pushing that button restricts the free spin. You can see the detent tension screw in the front behind the rotor that aligns the body to the frame. Turn the lever at the rear to lock the body into place. Turn the crank handle forwards or backwards and the line will fill the spool in the same direction that it did as a left hand crank.

Another photo of the off side. Here you can see the two line guide rollers for better line lay.

Here's a shot next to an old Cardinal 7 for size comparison. It's a pretty big & heavy reel and quite an interesting and unique reel, to say the least.

Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027