1950s Char-Lem Model ‘A’ reel by Charles Schrall any info ?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Chum Angler
Frequent Board Poster

1950s Char-Lem Model ‘A’ reel by Charles Schrall any info ?

Post by Chum Angler »

A 1950s Char-Lem Model ‘A’ reel by Charles Schrall I’d like to learn more about.

Link to thread with photos on the Classic Fly Rod Forum.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=34392

Thanks in advance if anyone can provide additional information on this maker.

Mark B
(aka turtledoc)
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Hello Mark -- After poking around on the net a bit, it didn't take long to realize that info on your wonderful reel is next to nonexistent, at least for me, but it sure is a fun challenge. I did however locate a Charles L Schrall (Oct. 17, 1909 - July 1986) laid to rest at Summit Park Cemetery in Wayzata, Minnesota. It also turns out that he had a relative named Lempie Schrall (Aug. 25, 1911 - Nov. 3, 2003), so I'm not sure if the Lem in your reels "Char-Lem" is Charles's middle name, or if it's possibly a dedication to, or collaboration with Lempie. I'm intrigued, so I hope someone here can come up with the answer.

I know this reel isn't the same model as yours, but thought I might as well post it, since there are so few photos of any of them. It is from the now closed Granville Island Sport Fishing Museum in Vancouver.
David

Chum Angler
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Chum Angler »

David -

Thank You for the reply and especially about the information regarding Charles' relative Lempie...that is a bit of information I had not stumbled across and I appreciate it.

Mark B
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: 1950s Char-Lem Model ‘A’ reel by Charles Schrall any info ?

Post by john elder »

I thought I'd pull up this old post in order to post some recent info sent to Roger Schulz from a relative of the maker. I'm hoping Chumangler is still about and can add back the pics that photobucket is holding hostage...of possibly if someone has performed the browser trick to get around their block, the pics could be copied and re-posted?? :

"I’m not a collector or ORCAMember but I noticed a couple questions about Char-Lem reels. FYI-they were designed and built by my uncle’s brother in law, Charles Shrall at the request of James Ford Bell founder of General Mills. He was an avid salmon fisherman and wasn’t happy with the drags then available. Charles grew up on the Bell estate as his father was superintendent of the Bell estate. The lem in the name was Lempie, Charles’ wife. All of the reels"
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: 1950s Char-Lem Model ‘A’ reel by Charles Schrall any info ?

Post by john elder »

These pics and a question from Dave Meyer:

“Here are pictures of the 2 Charlem reels. Also in the same box were a pair of the line dryer gadget shown. No marks on it. My guess is Charlie made them also. They fold up. Do they look familiar to you? Any info would be appreciated. By the way, the patent on the reels is 2,754,070. It’s in Charlie’s name but Mr. Bell probably paid for it.”

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures