beryllium-copper rod

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
BruceHandley
Frequent Board Poster

beryllium-copper rod

Post by BruceHandley »

I have a question (not a reel) about beryllium-copper rods. I was told that this type of rod was the subject of a post on this board. Did a search but came up empty. What I'm looking for is when they were made and the approximate cost when new. Any other info. that someone could share would be a big help. I've asked much the same questions on Clarks board without much response, although one of your members did did give me a start on a time line which is why I'm asking here. Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Here are some search results with some threads mentioning the material: Berrylium

I know that ElLawrence and I have these rods but not sure if we talked about it on this forum or just in email. I don't know much about the rod's background so sorry I'm not much help. Maybe when El checks in, she might have info for you.
Last edited by Brian F. on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Not certain of this, but I think Gephart made such rods once (30s-40s). I had an uncle who had a rod he referred to as a Gep Professional. Since he had a great imagination, he could have been imagining such. Claimed it was beryllium. But he did have a Supreme and was a great smallmouth angler, and I remember seeing the rod but can't remember if it was what he said it was. At least half of what he said was true. Problem always was-which half? Who knows!
Bad Bob
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Beryllium-copper antennas were developed for use on WWII fighter planes. After the war, the alloy was used for fishing rods. (What else could you do with those leftover antennas?) Fiberglass rods soon supplanted them. A number of companies made b-c rods, which were cheaper than split bamboo.
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Hey Bruce,

Here's a 1947 Warren Beryllium Copper Rods brochure for sale. Looks like it has a lot of pertinent info, and might be a neat addition, if your getting into collecting the rods. Don't know if it has the original prices though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

David
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I'm pretty sure I have this brochure if copies will do for interested parties...have to check tonight.
BruceHandley
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BruceHandley »

David M, thank you for the heads up on the catalog. I just got the one on ebay. I don't plan on collecting this type of rod, I collect wood and bamboo rods. However I've had this one rod in my collection for years and thought it time I figured what I had. Always a day late and a dime short.

Steve, don't sell this type of rod short until you cast one. The one I have (8 1/2', 2/1) casts a very nice line and is light in the hand. All in all not a bad rod for something thats not bamboo.
Bruce
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Bruce, the first rod I ever owned was b-c, fitted with one of those unnamed lw reels you see on ebay all the time, selling for less than the shipping costs. Never had a problem with either.
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

found a Warren rod ad.....

Post by Airexguy »

I don't know if this will help, but I found an ad in a July 1947 Field & Stream. The list 2 models, the Forecaster fresh water rod and the Neptune for saltwater use. The fresh water came in 4', 5', 5 1/2' and 6'.
The saltwater came in a light tackle, medium tackle and medium surf rod. Warren Products was located in Los Angeles California.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Here's a 1949 Warren ad. Note the new address.
Bill in Port Orange
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bill in Port Orange »

Did anyone else make copper rods ? I have a 10ft copper surf rod with no makers marks .

Bill
BruceHandley
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BruceHandley »

My fly rod was made by American Fork and Hoe co., which later became True Temper. Thank you all for your replies, I think I now have a working time line on this type of material as used in fishing rods. And thanks to David M I'll soon have a catalog with a few more answers.
Bruce
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Those Beryllium Copper rods were light and had beautiful action. Glass was cheaper to make. It was also dicovered that the dust that occured while working with Beryllium Copper caused cancer for those who worked with it!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

That's interesting, Bruce! I was looking through true temper lit and others and there were several companies that sprang up using steel for rods. However, I couldn't find mention of Cu-Be...I'll have to take another look.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Bill Sonnett wrote:Those Beryllium Copper rods were light and had beautiful action. Glass was cheaper to make. It was also dicovered that the dust that occured while working with Beryllium Copper caused cancer for those who worked with it!
not a carcinogen - it's just plain old poison, and not a problem unless you ingest it.
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/beryllium/
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Regarding the life-threatening dangers of ingesting Beryllium dusts, vapors, or compounds (Berylliosis). The former name for Beryllium was once Glucinium or Glucinum(1798) from the Greek "glukus" meaning "sweet". So unfortunately, Beryllium originally got it's name because of it's sweet sugary TASTE!...What's the fancy Greek word for D'oh?

David
hurdpete
Advanced Board Poster

Beryllium copper rod

Post by hurdpete »

Champion Products Co., in Muskegon, MI made a telescoping beryllium-copper alloy bait casting rod - time frame was late 40's to early 50's. They show up from time to time on TPWMNBN, and usually bring fairly good money (for a metal baitcaster) - $50- $60. The handles showed a "patented" designation, but the date isn't shown; perhaps a patent search would peg down their starting date a little closer. Item number 330454275207 is for an ad for this rod.
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Here's the reel deal, Pete
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fishing-Pole-Copper ... ltDomain_0

David
JLB
Big ORCA Fan

Re: beryllium-copper rod

Post by JLB »

Bruce,

I joined the organization to research a rod that my father won in a tarpon fishing competition in 1949. I believe it is the same yours "The one I have (8 1/2', 2/1)" and is probably a Warren Neptune 8.5' Surf Rod. Do you have any pictures of the your rod so I can confirm the authenticity? Their are no labels or decals left on mine to refer to. However, my rod is chromed and the reel mount is a bright metallic blue with a quick lever mount for the reel.

John B
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Bruce hasn't posted here in 5 years, so you likely won't get an answer from him.
Mark
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

I also have one. It is a very pretty rod and like new.
Al Stover
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

There are a lot of older post about beryllium copper here. Just thought I would add some more information for anyone interested.

The start of beryllium copper related to fishing rods started at the Warren Electric Company in Los Angeles, California. The U.S. Government was in need of a guide wire rod that would with stand vibrations created by the "Black Widow Fighter Bomber" during World War II. Beryllium copper was the material that was chosen for this rod.

One of the employees at the Warren Plant hooked up a beryllium copper rod to a rocker arm on a piece of equipment. After several weeks of plant workers stepping around or over the rod----it was determined that the rod would hold up under most fishing conditions.

The first casting rods were 61 inches long including the handle. Warren build the first rods so that the fishing line ran inside of the rod and out the tip. I have one warren rod that has the guide eyes tied on the outside of the rod like the majority of fishing rods.

I really don't know how many rod sizes warren had----but do know that 61 inch size was the most popular.

Some other companies produced beryllium copper rods---but they were all short lived due to fiberglass entering the market. The warren rods were drawn like the True Temper hollow rods. The warren rods that the line go through the rod are run to fish and play with. You will be suprised how well they cast.
Willis Logan
Benj1dog
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Benj1dog »

Hi i know this is an old topic but i have recently acquired a copper fishing rod. Do you have any pictures of the one you were discussing in this topic.

Thanks
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Benj1dog wrote:Hi i know this is an old topic but i have recently acquired a copper fishing rod. Do you have any pictures of the one you were discussing in this topic.

Thanks
Benj, feel free to post pics of yours to get things started. Some of us want to see these.
Sid Lehr
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

In reference to a post above. I have a nearly complete set of True Temper rod catalogs and am familiar with the various grades and name changes they used over the years. The name "Professional" was applied to their first seamless hollow steel rod which came out about 1934. It had a copper colored finish on the outside but was steel. True Temper later (after the war} applied the name "Professional" to a lighter weight seamless tubular steel rod which like their other top of the line rod the "Dynamic" had a cream colored enamel finish. Below that were three cheaper grades of rods each with a different colored finish. The second grade from the top was the copper-colored Castmaster grade. All these rods are steel and not BC. They are wonderful rods to cast but were expensive to make and glass was much cheaper to manufacture. By 1954 they are all gone from the True Temper catalogs. AS one who fishes with these rods and hangs out with others who do the same, I have seen at least 6 Heddon tubular steel rods break while fishing. I have never seen a TT rod broken and that despite USPS's best efforts on two occasions. TT hollow seamless steel rods are always step-tapered.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.