South Sea Saltwater Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
kip gomez
Frequent Board Poster

South Sea Saltwater Reel

Post by kip gomez »

I just purchased a saltwater reel that seems to be unique. It has a wide spool (3" wide) with marblilized side plates. The only mark is South Sea on the side plate. Can you help me with maker and age? Thanks for any info. you can give me. Kip.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Any chance you can post pictures? Seems like I had a South Seas marked reel once that was a Horrocks-Ibbotson product. Do the marblized plates look like either of these?

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I saw Kip's reel at Bakersfield and wondered what the heck it was, as well. The "mottling" was more subtle than that...more like some of the old Penns had, but not end-of-week crazy or anything. "South See" was in an oblong logo similar in shape to yours, Richard, but the writing was heavy and quite deep. Kip, if you want to post pics, I'll talk you thru it!

The neat thing about this reel is that it has sideplates not much greater in diameter than a Squidder, but the spool is double that of a squidder!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

see below
Last edited by john elder on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

here are more pics of Kip's reel...wish I would have bought it! :(

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

The plates and stamping look really familiar - like an Abbey and Imbrie I have. Will have to dig it out and check later. Never seen a drag handle like that one though.
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Brian beat me to it. The plates looks like the Abbey & Imbrie Surf King, and Sea Bright's, along with the same style Horrocks-Ibbotson reels.

David
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Now thats funny - I just got a box of reel handles in the mail today and I got one of those (missing the grasp) and wondered what it was off of. Looks rather rabbeth like to me. Check out the wierd clamp handle - ever seen one of those?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Jeff, you're right. It looks like a poor man's Rabbeth. Got a Readle there--straight from San Bernardino. Hard to imagine a drum big enough for that clamp.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Almost certainly a Horrocks-Ibbotson...

-- Dr. Todd
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Yes H-I for sure. That H-I reel design can be found with at least 10, maybe 20, different names (including trade names like the Abbey & Imbrie Silver King). However, Kip's reel appears to be much wider leaving me to wonder if the widening was done aftermarket. I couldn't really tell by photos...should be easy to tell with reel in hand by looking at spool & foot. If that reel was sold in wide version by H-I and all the parts are original, it is the first one I have seen.
kip gomez
Frequent Board Poster

Alterations

Post by kip gomez »

The foot has no extensions and all look to be original. Yes it is wide and very cool. Thanks for all the info. everyone has given. Any idea as to the value? Thanks again and have a great week. Kip.
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Re: South Sea Saltwater Reel

Post by JoeW »

Definitely a H-I product. Found this last weekend. Looks like the wide spool that was mentioned previously? Anyone ever come up with a value? Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC, ORCA)

Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)