Shakespeare Question

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Shakespeare Question

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I have always wondered why no one has written a book on Shakespeare History. I have read many articles about Shakespeare in Collectible Tackle books but never have seen a book dedicated solely to Shakespeare. I once posed that question to Russell Lewis author of many collectible tackle books, college professor, Micigan resident and former ORCA member. His response to me was there would not be enough interest in one manufacturer to write a book on it! I'm thinking, I've seen and have books on Heddon, Pflueger, Arbogast, Penn, Tycoon Tackle, Bogdan, and several others, why not Shakespeare. South Bend (wish I had), why not Shakespeare. There are so many accomplished published writers in the club, why has Shakespeare History not been written?
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Question

Post by Don Champion »

Perhaps Harvey would have written one. He should have.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Of all the makers that have books about them, Shakespeare would be one that I would snap up. It's my favorite.
Maybe it's sheer size is daunting? Maybe it would have to be a collaboration, ei, reels, rods, lures? Maybe there's just too many letters in Shakespeare to type repeatedly?

FWIW there's been a similar suggestion for a Shakespeare book over on the FFR forum.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

It's just a passel of material and no one has overcome the inertia required to do it. As Don mentioned, it was one of those threats that Harvey always made, but life ran him to ground before he got it done. A well-known and beloved Professor/author is now in possession of a lot of Shakes history, so maybe it will happen yet. Trouble is that he is dragging a fairly heavy anchor....well, two..
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Jon and John,
How about a different idea. Instead of a book what about a "wiki" type place where all collectors could post what they know and everyone could benefit? If you could somehow assemble what has been posted on this board and what has already been written in the Reel News you would have a good start. Keepin it Fun! Colby
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

Several years ago I was talking with Harvey (who had a more detailed knowledge of SP than anyone else on the planet) and suggested he write some of this down. When he resisted by saying, "I'm not a writer," I said something like, "But what if a bus runs over you next week?" He responded, "I'll look both ways before I step off the curb!" At our next visit together Harvey was breathing through a trachea tube in his throat and the irony of his statement stays with me.

As John E. mentioned, Todd Larson has proposed such a book and I have volunteered to help his research in any way I can. Len Sawisch, Jim Madden, Mark Williams, Joe Klaus, Colby Sorrells, the Lureguys Jim Garrett and Skip Brooks, and others have encyclopedic knowledge of the company, its catalogs and its products that needs to be organized and written down before a bus runs over the next guy.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Harvey did work on a manuscript on Shakespeare reels which I have a working draft of (not sure it is the final piece of his work). I also have a lot of other material, and plan when things cool down to "crowd-source" a Shakespeare reel book. Robyn will be a primary help as will all those mentioned, including Bill Sonnett. But something is in the works ... slowly but surely we'll get a Shakespeare book out!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

That's great . I always wondered why it had not been done before. I think you can probably sell a few copies.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

When I was in college in the 60's (Not 1860's Wayne and John) I remember going to Kalamazoo with a friend for the week-end. He took me downtown to a store and the only thing in had in it were boxes upon boxes of New Shakespeare Reels. I bought my first spinning reel there and was amazed that they could have a whole store which shelved all Shakespeare Reels.
stidog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stidog »

I absolutely love the idea of an ORCA Wiki. What a great idea, it will take years to compile tho. As far as Shakespeare, isn't that the most reels in most collections?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

We have an ORCA "wiki", although it's not called that:

http://www.fishingreelresearch.org/index.html