Seeking someone with South Bend 1958 rod catalog

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Seeking someone with South Bend 1958 rod catalog

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It builds like the new style rod epoxys. You need a slow motorized rod dryer to keep it even all the way around. As long as you rotate the rod it will be as thick or thin as you apply it. I do 2 fairly thin to moderate coats and lightly sand and even between the coats. I don't like big globby looking finishes on the wraps but I want enough that the thread is completely covered and protected. You'll get the hang of it, although the first rod or 2 may take more than 2 coats with sanding/smoothing in between. :) If you try it I would be surprised if you don't like the finished product, although it is NOT the old time varnished look, it's today's new rod look. Make sure you follow the mixing and waiting instructions and use a plastic knife or narrow flat spatula to stir it. I used a hollow swizzle stick the first time, had to wait way to long for all the air bubbles I created to dissipate and then had to bust butt before it started to harden. Never used one of those again. :roll: :) I only use it on new builds.

Tom