Building a cabin in the woods

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Building a cabin in the woods

Post by Mike N »

About 10 years ago, I decided to build a cabin on the back acreage of my property below my actual home. We had a few springs in the hillside and had already put in two bass ponds. The idea was to build a place to spend the night with the kids within a reasonable walking distance to the house.

We used cedar siding inside and out to give it a log cabin feel and covered the cement block with stone. It was entirely built by me & a few buddies (one was a contractor) and was not very costly. The cabin has become a great place to smoke fish, cook some hot dogs or grille a steak or to just have a beer and sit on the porch swing.

The porch is elevated and covered by a roof and looks out over 1000 wooded acres owned by the local sportsmen club. We put a stone fireplace inside for snowy winter days. Our family and friends have got a decade of use out of the cabin and we have even toyed with the idea of someday making it into a bed and breakfast, but I'm not ready to give up my man-cave just yet.

I posted photos last year of the bridge we built to the pond island. If anyone has built a log house or cabin, please post a few photos.

[img]

[/img]
stidog
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Building a cabin in the woods

Post by stidog »

What a perfect spot to unwind!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Very Nice. Field of Dreams!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Fantastic, Mike! Very jealous! that might even make snow palatable!
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Mike: The second picture looks like a painting. Very nice!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

If I had that I would have never gone to work, or to my primary adobe, so both would have been repoed. I'm envious! Very nice Mike! 8)

Tom
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

Beautiful, Mike! ♬Almost heaven, West Virginia...♪

My cabin by the lake is also my home now, built atop a chain wall and finished with red cedar. The outbuildings, a guest house/garage and a covered pavilion, are also covered by board & batten cedar and a metal roof.

Right beside the front porch is a waterfall that always provides sweet sounds. Bass, bluegills and catfish can be caught right at the front door or from the pier.

Here's the view from the front porch on a Fall afternoon.

With the Christmas lights up.

A couple of years ago I built a fire pit beside the lake that has proved to be a popular gathering spot in the evening.

Here's what an East Texas sunset looks like from the fire pit.

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone.

Our cabin was built as a labor of love and allowed our family a lot of quality time together as the kids grew up. With both boys done playing college baseball and now in grad school, and with our daughter in veterinarian school abroad, I pray it will one day be a place they can share with their kids, too. If I get a chance I'll take & post a few interior shots later this week.

I hope every ORCA member has-- even if it's for only one weekend a year-- a little place on God's green earth to rest and relax and, of course, fish.

Robyn-- thanks for sharing those photographs of your beautiful cabin and property. It is an incredible place. I hope we get a few more posters. ORCANs remind me of cabin-loving people.

Mike N.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I am sure many like myself , due to financial limitations only dream of places like these. Great to see that some have reached their ultimate dreams. Beautiful places.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Mike and Robyn

Both look like perfect places for a future ORCA National Convention. Are motels near by? Looks like you got the ponds for the fishing tournament. Put up a large tent and we are ready to go.

Roger Schulz
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Roger:

My cabin is located about 20 miles from the Pittsburgh International Airport.

I should be slowing down professionally in a few years and would love to host a national when the time is right.

Mike N
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

Roger-it's not an ideal spot for a National since I'm 2 hours away from Houston Intercontinental and my farm is 10 miles from the nearest town. Woodville has a "Patel Motel" but it's not nearly big enough for our club. I've enjoyed visits from a few ORCAns here and keep the welcome mat out if you're anywhere close.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

If I'm able to retire to something even remotely similar to either of those homes I'll consider myself most fortunate.

Thanks for sharing.

Dean.
stidog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stidog »

Don't know what happened Mike, but everytime I upload pictures it wants me to upload a cabin photo of yours :)