Armstrong stitched canvas decoys c.1940 (Houston)

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Armstrong stitched canvas decoys c.1940 (Houston)

Post by Mike N »

My son bought these 2 Armstrong Featherweight Decoy, Inc. of Houston (c.1940) stitched & stuffed canvas decoys for me for $36 on eBay. Both have glass eyes and waterproofing (after-market?) on the bottom.

I love 'em but don't know much about them. I have a pair of c. 1916 JW Reynolds (Chicago) collapsible canvas decoys that I really like and these two reminded us of those.

Any info on Armstrong would be appreciated. Thanks.

David M
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Armstrong stitched canvas decoys c.1940 (Houston)

Post by David M »

I enjoy hunting for duck decoys too, Mike. I sure wish I had that pair of yours swimming on my shelf. They may be a little older than you thought. Here's a page that I grabbed, albeit kind of blurry, from one of my decoy books. It's Worman's Duck Decoys by Russell E. Lewis. It's a great 253 page identification and price guide from 2006. It also has an informative section on shot shell boxes, calls, magazines, oilers, and other hunting collectables.

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

David-- thank you. The info is greatly appreciated.

The price is great but the aesthetics are what makes me want to learn more about this manufacturer.

The group photo you posted is superb. Thanks again.

Mike N.
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

You're welcome, Mike. Here's some more info I dug up. The following paragraph is from the 2012 book, "A Hundred Years of Texas Waterfowl Hunting", by R.K. Sawyer.

"Houston had two commercial decoy factories in the mid-1900s. Armstrong Featherweight Decoys Inc., started by Charles L. Armstrong and partner Constant A. Oliverus, manufactured lightweight decoys made from printed canvas cloth wrapped around a cork kapok body with a wooden bill and glass eyes inserted in the head. Between 1938 and 1945 their line included bluebills, mallards, black ducks, redheads, pintails, and Canada geese. The Armstrong Company sold tow sacks with the company logo and an ingenious canvas vest with layered pockets to carry their decoys. Constant Oliverus started the Oliverus Manufacturing Company in 1941 and for ten years carried a line of Duc-Em Zephyr pintail, mallard, and Canada goose decoys very similar to Armstrong's."

Then, there's the following from the book, "American Factory Decoys", by Henry Fleckenstein.

"Armstrong Featherweight decoys were made of a canvas covering printed mechanically with an elaborate rendition of the species coloration and feathering, and filled with kapok or ground cork. The bodies were sewn through the back with a heavy waxed cord presumably to help hold them together so that they might withstand hard usage. A tapered wooden bill was inserted in its proper place in the canvas for the beak. Glass eyes are found in all of the birds. Apparently two different models were made and the later birds did not have the waxed cord sewn through their bodies. Otherwise, they were very similar in construction and style. The exact dates for the beginning and end of the company are not known, but they advertised extensively during the years 1939-41. For sale were mallards, pintails, bluebills, black ducks, Canada geese and snow geese."

But wait, there's more! According to a 1940 Sports Afield magazine ad, Armstrong Featherweight Decoys, Inc. had an address of 400-A Citizens State Bank Building in Houston. I'm not sure if that's just an office where they had their mail delivered, or if that was their actual manufacturing location. I also found mention of a location at 2024 Milby St., Houston, TX. The magazine's ad prices in 1940 were $1.25 each for the ducks, or $13.50 per dozen, and a whopping 6 bucks for the big goose. Moreover, the ad mentions that the decoys are not over six pounds per dozen, do not require annual repainting, pack nicely, flat bottom rides any water like a wild bird, and "WILL NOT SINK if shot". So, they had that goin' for 'em,...which is nice. :D
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Once again, the breadth of knowledge that ORCA members have and are willing to share on any sporting collectibles subject is amazing. Thanks again, David.

Mike N