New Page Format

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
wrong99
Star Board Poster

New Page Format

Post by wrong99 »

I'm maybe the only one, but I find this new page format hard to look at. I'm sure it will get better? Borders are much too dark and the posts, posters, etc. in the middle have no clear division and it's difficult at times to line them up.
Mark
Last edited by wrong99 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Re: New Page Format

Post by OCauto »

Same here Mark
Adnim
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Adnim »

Mark, the posts have borders and the rows are alternating colors. Your IE may not be retrieving updated CSS from this site (in spite of my best efforts to force it).

I attach a screenshot of what you should be seeing.

If your view is different, try pressing Ctrl+F5 on your keyboard. That is both keys at the same time. If that doesn't work, try clearing your "Temporary Internet Files". To do this in IE, press Ctrl+Shift+Del on your keyboard, UNcheck everything other than "Temporary Internet Files", followed by press "Delete".
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Looks good to me, especially the alternating post backgrounds.
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

I like the new format, and would just like to ad that this forum/board engines is one of the nicest (i.e. with the most features), I have run accross out there. There are many great tools/features available to users.

I might suggest that you consider making the ...

"unanswered posts | active topics
unread posts | new posts | your posts"

links available at the top of every page once a user is in 'Reel Talk" though, just so it's a little easier (i.e. less clicks needed) to navigate to these useful links.

Just a thought.
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

Using Chrome and still don't like it as well. It wasn't broken..... Why?
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I was referring to the "ORCA Community" page, where the borders between the forums are really vague. It's no big deal, seeing as how I'm damn near blind anyway.
Mark
Adnim
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Adnim »

@Tightlines666 There is a reason for that and one that should become evident on your Samsung in time. This is a work in progress, so please bear with things over the transition period. If it so happens there is sufficient room for these links in forum or topic view on a mobile device without pushing the main content lower and people are very keen for them, I will consider it.

@Al I really cannot make much of your posts other than you don't seem to like it. Different people see different things and I have not got a clue what you are seeing.

If you are asking why the changes? Simply because this site was not attracting 60% of the visitors that it could. Visitors convert to members. Visitors also have different ages and tastes. It is not possible to please everyone but I try to please over 95%.

Thank you for the positive comments. They help keep me going through this arduous task.

@Mark (sneaking one in on me there when replying), This I want to hear and this I will address over time. When a change is made, I have to throw a look on it quick and that is just the first version. The whole point here is that things should be clean and clear and if they are not, they need attention.

It's actually possible you have been looking at something I overlooked. I will now go and look at what I think you are referring to. If I have goofed, I will fix it right now. If I haven't, I'd like to tweak it with your help over time.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Looks fine to me. Thanks, Adnim.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I'm likin' it so far!! Change is a biatch, especially for an old fart like me but this is going to be pretty easy to get used to. I keep finding more pluses every time I visit. Clicking "Reel Talk" to the left of the forum @ the top & bottom left of the page is nice for getting back to the main board index quick and I really like the up/down arrows on every post. I like the contrasts, especially the darker blue band @ the top. There's no variation in the background on the board index forum lines but that's no big deal as it's pretty obvious which forum is which.

I know it's ongoing but looking good!

Tom
Adnim
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Adnim »

Thanks Tommy.

You may not have spotted this one yet... If you click the new post indicator Image, it takes you to the first unread post in a topic. If you click the read post indicator Image, it takes you to the last post in a topic.

I know these existed before but they were tiny 9 pixel images. Image Much easier to hit the status indicator (25 pixels) with a fat finger though.

On the clicks: Clicking an avatar or username takes you to that person's profile. (The old "Profile" button has gone.) For most, this will be fairly intuitive.

There will be changes to the font and font size later. Some things are gonna get bigger. Buttons will get bigger too.

If something is missing from the top, check the bottom. Members list is now down there, along with the time, timezone, last time you logged in, etc. These are not needed every time you open every page.

Oh, don't tell everyone about the up/down buttons... they'll only want to use them! I needed the space where the previous "Top" text link was, so I could fit in "PM" and "Email". Again, this is logical, as these apply to the profile (or poster) and not the post.

The tiny "Delete" and "Report" buttons which used to float on the right within the post area have been taken out and made more obvious below the posts. These were just too tiny for both desktop and mobile device users. Now they will work for all.

Not all pages will change. Only the public facing ones, as these are the most important.

At some point, the header will need to change too.

Cumulatively, there is over 2 weeks of work to do but I will be spreading that as and when I get the time.

Hopefully, tomorrow you will see the unnecessary "Post subject: " disappear from the top of posts, as well as that 9px icon beside "Posted: ". I will replace the functionality of the read/unread in-post indicator ImageImage with a larger page icon to the left of the subject.

At some point, I will be changing the date and time format. This is a per-user option, which can be adjusted in your profile. The current format is far too long for the small screen. So, what I am trying to say is that if you are logged-out, the date will be a shorter version but logged-in it will be whatever you have it set to. Don't get a shock! All is well! I will tell mobile device users how they may adopt shortened date/times to their liking at the time. I doubt anyone else will want to change. You may have noticed I removed the time from the "Joined: " date beside posts. This can still be viewed by visiting a profile (if anyone really cares).
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Admin,
All of the current and planned changes are clean. The final result should please most PC and mobile device users. It has been a process with lots of dialogue and ideas. You effort is greatly appreciated.
Betty
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Too much contrast for my old eyes. Prefer the older format.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

To the Adnim :rose Nice work!

Some people appreciate change, some resist, some go with the flow. A few months from now most won't remember what it was like before. I was surprised that more users didn't mention the changes as they started occurring.

I noticed that the icon that shows on the browser tab has changed but I can't quite make out what it is... house, creel, reel?

I'll agree that the type is a bit hard on the eyes... kind of like trying to read the next line of letters at the optometrist.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Did something change? What changed? I didn't notice any change. You log in, you read stuff, you log out. Is today Tuesday?

Bad Bob
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

RAM wrote:Did something change? What changed? I didn't notice any change. You log in, you read stuff, you log out. Is today Tuesday?

Bad Bob
You log out :?:
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

I meant to say you push down on that button thing on the right side of the I Pad.
BB
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Bill Sonnett wrote:Too much contrast for my old eyes. Prefer the older format.
Contrast, that's it exactly. The indigo blue Report, Up/Down, Quote, and Reply buttons are obnoxiously distracting. If they could be toned-down a few notches, or maybe just outlined, it would be much easier on the eyes, and much easier to focus on what's important. Other than that, nice job! :cool

I'm using Windows 10, with that wacky new Microsoft Edge browser. :loco: :type: :loco:
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Wow! Now that's what I call action! That's perfect. Thank you, Adnim.

:yay :jump: :yay
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

MUCH better!
Mark
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

David M wrote:Wow! Now that's what I call action! That's perfect. Thank you, Adnim.

:yay :jump: :yay
What changed? I don't see any difference. (Google on Windows 10)
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Wayne B. wrote:What changed? I don't see any difference.
Wayne, here's "Adnims" screenshot from his post at the top of the page, before the change. Compare the dark blue buttons to the current lighter color buttons at the bottom of each post. The posts are now easier on the eyes, and much more clean looking.

Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Got it.
Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reel Addictive »

Huh, and all this time I thought I was suffering hallucinations due to consuming excessive amounts of cold and flu medications.

It's amazing the difference that one color tweak made to the overall appearance. David was spot on with his suggestion.

Thanks for all the effort Adnim. It looks great so far.
jimbofish wrote:To the Adnim I noticed that the icon that shows on the browser tab has changed but I can't quite make out what it is... house, creel, reel?
Jimbofish -I believe that is a B C Milam # 4 reel with the horseshoe logo, half crank with a horn handle. Can't you see that. :roll:

William
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Is it possible to put the "new posts", "your posts" etc links back to the top of every page again? Im lost with out them! lol.