Field & Stream Magazine Cover - June 1949

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Field & Stream Magazine Cover - June 1949

Post by David M »

Just a 1949 Field & Stream magazine, that I recently rummaged across in a local antique shop. I have a real soft spot for anything that depicts an American Western scene entwined with fly fishing.

The artist was Glenn Golton:

Glenn Golton, a painter and printmaker, was born on October 23, 1897 in Milton, Kansas. He attended the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts, the Audubon Tyler School of Painting, and Ottawa University. In 1936, Golton began working at Mid-Continent Engraving Company in Wichita. While living in Wichita, Golton studied lithography with William Dickerson and taught at the Wichita Art Association. By the mid-1940s, Golton was working as a commercial artist in New York City. Golton died on September 25, 1988 in San Diego, California.
- http://www.askart.com

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Field & Stream Magazine Cover - June 1949

Post by Brian F. »

Great cover, David.
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Thank you, Brian. Looking at it again, I feel kind of sorry for that packhorse. That's quite a load!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

David your remark about liking any magazine cover that features both fly fishing and the American west reminded me of one of my favorites---- hope you enjoy it
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Wow! Now that's the epitome of western fly-fishing cover art. It's beautifully vibrant also. Thanks for posting it, Bill, I enjoyed it. :cool
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I like the Ladies in my fishing illustrations. This is one of dozens in my collection.

Or, if you want to go back a little further in time, you get to the ladies that wore floppy hats, white shirts and scarves. Note the rod and reel.

Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Those covers remind me of several boxes of those magazines from the 1920s and 1930s I ran across when I worked at a fish hatchery in Front Royal, VA in 1957. The supervisor let me have them. I really enjoyed reading them. I wish I still had them.