Virus?

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Virus?

Post by RAM »

A fair number of posts here have off-ORCA site URLs posted. Clicking on unknown sites makes me a bit nervous since a virus snuck into my computer from what I thought to be a safe source (rarely surf anything except for research).
Question is what kind of firewall if any does ORCA have?

Anxious in Nashville-Bad Bob
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Virus?

Post by Brian F. »

Bob, from the sound of it, you may still have a virus on your computer and may want to get it checked out. I had that happen a while ago and had to take it in to get cleaned out since my regular antivirus and malware programs didn't do it. Had it cleaned out and then re-installed the anti-virus I was using and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (paid version for $25).
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Thanks Brian. Problem was with previous computer. Have good AV software now but still am reluctant to visit sites I am not familiar with. Just had my present computer virus-purged this week (running slow, other problems). But what bothered me here was these URLs that members patch in on comments that come from....? I rarely click on those.

Nervous old fool in Music City- BB
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nervous old fool in Music City
No, you're not an old fool, BB. I wouldn't click on them either unless I was confident about who provided the link. E-mail addresses aren't supposed to be included in posts because it's easier for the spammers sp ammers/virusers. They used to get deleted immediately but that rarely happens any more for some reason.

FYI, "scum of the earth" was automatically inserted by default so I had to leave a space after "sp". :? :cool
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I used company issued PC laptops for decades and even with Virus protection I occasionally had to get help removing a virus. The best advice I ever got was the same as Brian suggested which is to run malwarebytes. The free version works fine for a single use. The paid version provides continuous protection and updates. It is used in addition to a virus scanner. Malwarebytes detects spam that other virus scanners don't.

However similar problems NEVER occurred on my Mac, iPad or iPhone and they don't need antivirus software at all. There is a firewall in my internet access point that is also password protected.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

+1 on the Mac.....stay on your iPad, BB!
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Generally do Deke. Would go over to Apple for all Internet usage but it is true you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Took 10 years to get a handle on Microsoft. Now have MS 10 and still learning. Also, would never get everything transferred to a new computer. Would throw all these evil devices into a lake, but would never hear from anyone ever again. At least I don't text. That culls out a lot of communication right there!

BB
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

BB, you can put your whole computer on one memory stick these days and move it wherever! ....and I'm sure there are some 20-somethings that would snicker at using something as primeval as a USB port at that! :D