Anyone else using an ipad. Staying logged in?

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
john elder
Star Board Poster

Anyone else using an ipad. Staying logged in?

Post by john elder »

I come on via ipad, phone and computer, depending on where i am. Of late, i can't seem to stay logged on with the ipad. I sign in, tell it to remember me, then if i go off to another site, then put it to sleep, i'm no longer logged into RT when i return. I don't notice the problem with phone or laptop...sound familiar to anyone?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Anyone else using an ipad. Staying logged in?

Post by Paul M »

John:
It is an iOS security annoyance. iPad and iPhone have a "Remember" and "Autofill" setting for Logins and Passwords. So you have to have that enabled and also click the ORCA Reeltalk box for "Log me on automatically each visit". Next time that happens, click on the Login field and look for an "Autofill Password" pop-up above the letter keys. Click that and it should autofill and subsequently log you in automatically each time... until you do an update to iOS or whatever triggers the forced logouts.

Paul
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

PS The iOS Autofill password settings are hidden in Settings>Safari> then in the General section select the Autofill switch.

Confused yet? Works great when it works.
Last edited by Paul M on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, paul, i will nose around. But an "autofill" setting would just facilitate entry through the login feature...i should not need to go to login if i clicked the "keep me logged in" button, unless i dump my data/cookies. I don't think we are talking about the same issue?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Yes we are on the same page. I am just going by my own trials and tribulations. Here is what I think I know :)

In terms of iPad and iPhone, the "stay logged-in" feature works only for the situation where you close the session on your device and then go back to the ReelTalk page but have not actually logged out. Say you are logged in to ORCA with the keep me logged in button selected. Close the ORCA session by switching to some other app like e-mail for example, then double-click the home button and flick the windows of all the other open apps off the screen, including the Safari session on ORCA. Then go back to ORCA-online via Safari (directly or via your bookmark for ORCA) and voila you will be logged-in without any need to enter a password.

On the iPad or iPhone, if you actually "log out" from the ORCA Reel Talk site or are logged-out by your device OS or for any reason, then it won't keep you logged in regardless that you clicked the keep me logged in option. In that case the login and password will still need to be re-entered (or just click the field for your Username and then click the "autofill password" option to fill it in (and be sure to once again click the "Log me on automatically each visit") .

Paul M
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

what you describe is what I do and is not an issue on any other devise. I have only actually "logged out" about three times in the last 5 years and that was just to test some glitch...it's a mystery...
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I believe a cookie or whatever mechanism is being used to keep you logged in gets wiped every time your device accepts an iOS update. If updates are automatic you get no warning.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I guess we should get a room, Paul :-]....thanks much for taking the time with this. I'll go on a foray through the iPad tonight and see if I can find the fatal flaw.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Get a Blackberry.
Last edited by Harry Verdurchi on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks for sharing, Henry.

I did a software upgrade they have been yelling at me about and i think that has solved the problem. Somehow involves the Cloud, which they haven't even figured out yet, so i don't try.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

john elder wrote:Thanks for sharing, Henry.

I did a software upgrade they have been yelling at me about and i think that has solved the problem. Somehow involves the Cloud, which they haven't even figured out yet, so i don't try.
You're not related to Joe Btfsplk are ya? :lol:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027