A life besides reels?

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Reeltyme

A life besides reels?

Post by Reeltyme »

Yes I do have a life besides collecting vintage fishing reels :? I drink single malt scotch and smoke good cigars! So there! (Usually while I'm working downstairs on a vintage fishing reel). And what do you all do?
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Re: A life besides reels?

Post by Robin Sayler »

I do a lot of hunting and fishing.
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

No...reels have taken over my life :shock:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

john elder wrote:No...reels have taken over my life :shock:
Speaking from experience, :lol: they will do that to ya! :mrgreen:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Being "Nurse Ratchet" taking care of my wife, Playing Harmonica (Or trying), a little golf, collecting wooden monks, Acoustic Music Fellowship at church, being "Marion The Librarian" All of this has put a severe crimp on my reel collecting!! Jon
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

I spend all week between work, a PTO that needs all of the help in the world and working as the de facto stuck-forever secretary of our HOA as well as the "missing-on-the-weekends-when needed-most" pool chairman of our community pool. I gave up being an Elks officer three years ago after serving as Exalted Ruler as well as through all of the chairs. I loved the experience but moved 20 miles from the Lodge in Hendersonville when I got married and it's a long trip home after 2 or 3 drinks. :( In the few spare moments during the week, I love to cook. In the even fewer spare moments, I enjoy a nip of good bourbon or rum. In the rare rare moments (like today) that I'm on the road for work and can find a new honey hole for rods, reels and tackle, well there I am! (Found a place in Shelby, NC today called Bass Shack. (Great prices, some nice older reels, strictly worth of mouth from a friend of a friend that I heard of it!) Seems like these guys (similar to a post I put up recently about Big Boyz in Old Fort, NC) have an innie on NOS stuff from places like Bass Pro and Cabelas.

Today's side jaunt reminded me of how powerful the internet is. 30 years ago when I first started occasionally picking up a saltwater reel or rod here and there, I paid what I felt good about and how the seller treated me. Now when I'm looking, eBay auctions are always on my mind, and a lot of the time unless it is really pristine, I can find better deals there. That doesn't mean that I still don't shop locally, just that the internet has made information so much easier to obtain and makes my decisions a little better.

That works both ways. My son got a really nice older Olympic DS 8 and DS12 for his birthday (purchased from a fellow ORCAn) and I've been looking for a lighter roller rod for one of them. Today I found it there, and thanks to the internet, snapped it up. It was $35 cheaper than anything I could find online and NOS.

Weekends? I'm at the family lake house with my youngest son unless the wife keeps me home. :fished

Tight lines,
Keith
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Well, I'm not sorry to say, :jump: I made a conscious decision to retire from that "besides" life so I could spend more time fondling and admiring my accumulation of reels & tackle. :D

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

In the long Michigan Winters, I research old fishing tackle, write about it, smoke my pipe and watch a lot of movies and try my best to steer clear of my wife who feels it is her job to turn my attentions to all sorts of unnecessary tasks--LOL

In the warm months, I do what comes naturally................

I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

And that tackle box full of lures is probably the dream of every NFLCC member! And from the days of yesteryear, his old pal Jingles once said , "Hey Wild Bill Wait for me"
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

And that tackle box full of lures is probably the dream of every NFLCC member!
Bill,
:idea: There's a Possum Belly with 5 trays on each side :roll: ..... but ...... I think you'd need a little bit bigger boat. :D

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I actually have one of those as you can read here---too much too late
http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/2012 ... lucas.html
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

My 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T is my other hobby. I've owned this car for 46 years. We've had lots of fun together. NHRA drag racing for many years. Now street legal again. ~~ ED

This pic taken in 2016

This pic taken in 1971.
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

GORGEOUS car! Love it! Keep it coming ,guys! Love to hear the tales, hobbies and past times... and you guys have some great ones to share!

Tight lines,
Keith in Arden, NC
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I am a 66 year old retired high school English teacher. I retired in 2011. I play the 5-string banjo and perform in little clubs and coffee houses in the Tampa Bay area, though a recent bout with arthritis in my wrist has curbed my playing for a while. I used to be a hunter, but the older I got, the less interested I became in shooting anything. I do love to fly fish with vintage bamboo and fiberglass rods (no graphite for me please), and classic (but not too expensive) single action fly reels. I take a trip up to Townsend, Tennessee once in a while to fly fish for trout in the Smokies. I also like to fly fish in the salt flats around Sarasota Bay and Tampa Bay. Sometimes, though, I like to do a little "meat" fishing with live bait off the piers or on the beach with classic old spinning tackle. Recently I have taken an interest in collecting and using some of the older closed faced under hanging spinning reels like the Shakespeare 1810 and it's relatives such as the 1730, 1750, 1745, the 1756 and other makes of similar types like the South Bend 1600. There is just something about the ease of handling, no bail, and the smooth drags of these old reels that intrigues me. The fact that I never see anyone else using them helps me to like them even more.

I also like to smoke a nice cigar and there is one particular cigar shop in Temple Terrace, Florida that I frequent.
Joe
dbummee
Advanced Board Poster

Post by dbummee »

I like to sit on our porch on warm spring and summer mornings, drink coffee and watch the world go buy.
Feed peanuts to my tame chipmunks and squirrels and enjoy what's been given me.

Tom DuRose
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Beautiful car, Ed! Here's mine, although it's probably mad at me since I've only had it out of the garage a handful of times in the last couple years...my reel life is cramping my real life! Tackle room and garage are full of lost souls waiting to be repaired! I' ve had this '61 for 35 years...

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Wow John that is a beauty !!!! You need to be driving that baby !!! Put the reels down for a while and drive .
John Taylor . PS there are a couple things you need to finish first. LOL !!!!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You're killing me, Taylor.....just killing me :bash:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

John, I love that California car, but for the '71 Challenger to look that good after 46 WV winters, well, that's really a small miracle. Thank you both for posting those classics.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Sometime around 1958 I received my copy of THE FISHERMAN magazine which contained this cartoon as part of a series entitled "As Others See Us" This about sums up my life at that time and most of the years that followed ---LOLImage
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

Very Nice car, John. 61 and 62 are my favorite Corvette years.