Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Catch and keep!

Post by JoeW »

Boy- I just don't see how that's going to catch on! I don't think many people want to be the executioner for their dinner. My daughters loved seafood until... they saw me cleaning trout at the sink, saw my wife served a lobster with the head still on, saw me eating clams on the half shell, and saw whole shrimp at the grocery store. Until then, "sea food" had just been food.

I think the Animal Rights people might have something to say about this?

What's next- getting to whack the head off the chicken you pick for some fried chicken? "There! That one! I'm gonna call her "fluffy". Where's the axe? LOL. Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC, ORCA)
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Stop it, Joe. You're making me hungry!

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

"City Slickers" crack me up! :lol: There's nothin' better than enjoying the taste of the beef you hand raised, eggs from the hens in your own hen house, fryers from the chicken coop, pork from the hog lot slop, veggies from the garden out back, etc. Quite a bit tastier than that store bought stuff, that's for sure. :cool

:idea: Rather than teaching sex ed in schools they should have a 3 mandatory high school credit requirement about where our food really comes from. :P
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Tommy:

I remember my diminutive grandma on the family farm in very rural Kentucky going to the hen house to get dinner. Once seeing that, the phrase "running around like a chicken with his head cut off" has a deep and true meaning!

PETA had not been formed yet.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

Wow - reading this thread this brings back some pretty powerful memories! My Amish grandparents in northern Indiana had a farm that processed chickens every Friday. I well remember as a kid during the summers up there seeing a huge funnel contraption that he would stick the chickens in head down, then a young boy would go down the long line of funnels whacking the heads off. It was the first time that phrase made sense to me when he pulled one out, which did fly up to the rafters of the processing barn and bleed everywhere. He also had this really cool steam machine that was wood fired with a stationary bicycle attached to that which would beat the feathers off with rubber sticks as the big drum turned around. I remember all of the local Amish women in their long skirts and bonnets pedaling furiously to make the big wheel go around.

Outside of the barn was a sign that said, "Kwitcherbellyakin!". Long after my grandparents passed away I chased where that sign went, but never found it.

I also remember the first time my Aunt Mary asked me to pick out a chicken I liked. I was five and have never forgotten that experience.

Does it taste good? Absolutely. Always better when you know the provenance. Now it's a big deal where I live to know where your food came from. Processed food certainly has a lot of extra stuff in it, but my kids still seem to like Burger King? :roll:

I think about where some of our fish we catch comes from. We live about 800ft from the French Broad River and I'd NEVER eat fish from there, although fun to catch. Too many things floating in that river I don't like. Love me some Lake Greenwood bass though!

Cheers,
Keith in Arden
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

One thought... SNL... "Bob Stater's Rabbit Hutch"...."i'm a hungry Dad!... i'll have that big white one!"
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures