Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:04 am 
Super Board Poster
I found a great old saltwater rod that will look great on the wall with a period correct Pflueger or Penn Reel. The primary issue with the rod is a cracked male ferrule which fits into the handle. I would like to replace that. It is a very large ferrule measuring what appears to be 31/32" OD. Anyone know where I can find one?

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:13 pm 
Star Board Poster
this is very common on nickel-plated brass salt rods.
Biological activity produces ammonia, which cracks the brass.
It's unlikely you will be able to find a replacement.
There are folks who machine their own from nickel silver, and while possible, is likely cost-prohibitive.

For a wall hanger, seems you could hang it as is, or maybe put a copper-wire wrap around it to secure it.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:34 pm 
Star Board Poster
I might have one, Wayne, although it seems there as many deviations in size as there are rods out there! I've been making ones from Bronze, then nickel plating, but as Ron mentioned, it better be a pretty good stick to spend the money!

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:00 pm 
Super Board Poster
Doc Elder:

It is a pretty nice stick...about 8' long, two original guides, all original wraps. The wrap at the base ferrule has a couple loose threads. The reel seat can be cleaned up. And the 2' wood handle will remain as it is because it looks good as it is. I guess I will start looking for a donor rod. I hate to have a "wall hanger" that isn't right.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:24 pm 
Advanced Board Poster
Just looking at it, it seems the existing ferrule would be easily removed. I am assuming that the ferrule still fits into its counterpart. If you take the ferrule off and clean the wood that was under it, I would assume that the crack in the ferrule could be squeezed back together to its original dimensions. I have made some pretty decent repairs on metalized minnows with cracked metal coverings using the following method.
I worked a VERY small amount of JB Weld under the metal with a tooth pic (in this case it could simply be applied to the wood with the ferrule off) when the ferrule is back on I attached a dozen or more stout rubber band together end to end and wind them on the cracked ferrule creating tremendous compression pressure that holds. the crack shut. Leave the rubber bands on for three days before removing them. I have had excellent results that with care will make the crack nearly invisible.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:55 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
To expand on Bill's idea, a good one I might add, I'm wondering if using a wax paper liner under an automotive hose clamp, or two, one on each tier, would pull and hold the ferrule tight together until the JB Weld, or even clear regular epoxy dries?

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:40 am 
Super Board Poster
Thanks. I think I will give it a shot.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:02 am 
Star Board Poster
good job Bill, sounds like a winner.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:54 am 
Star Board Poster
adding an afterthought to this topic, found on a similar discussion on FFR, where the owner of the rod with cracked ferrule plans to fish the rod.
https://www.goldenwitch.com/product/nic ... ver-bands/
Goldenwitch offers nickel silver bands - take a very accurate measurement and reinforce your ferrule with one of these.
However, since they don't offer these in your large ferrule size, may it's time to talk to John about machining you a simple reinforcement band.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 am 
Super Board Poster
Thanks Ron. If the rod had a label ID'ing it, I would pursue the issue with more intensity. I've been lazy and haven't pulled the ferrule yet, but I am going to try the JB Weld approach just to make it a better wall-hanger. Thanks again for your input.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:02 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
I have a bunch of those old ferrules if you want give me some measurements and I will check to see if I have your size !! John Taylor

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:17 pm 
Super Board Poster
John:

I don't have micrometers immediately available. So my rough OD would be 31/32". If you have something close I can get access to some mic's and get very specific. Thanks for your response. I would love to have this rod right.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:28 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
That is the small part right ?

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:34 pm 
Super Board Poster
Yes...that is actually the measurement, crude as it may be, of the ID of the female ferrule which is part of the reel seat.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:50 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
This one is 31.5 / 32nds just a smootch big. I have more to dig out.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:02 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
I have a truck load of these but to small !! I have bigger and smaller but these two were the closest. If you want to get a caliper then let me know back that would be good. John Taylor

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:30 pm 
Super Board Poster
I'll get some mic's and let you know. Thanks for your help!!!

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:59 am 
Super Board Poster
John: I sent you a PM.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:22 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Wayne I guess the 29/32nd is as close as I have. I will give it to if it will work ! Let me know ? John

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:07 pm 
Advanced Board Poster
I tell you what, there are some kind folks here! Good on ya John!

-Chris

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:35 am 
Super Board Poster
John, I sent you another PM.

1badf350 wrote:I tell you what, there are some kind folks here! Good on ya John!

-Chris

There sure are!