"Happy Thanksgiving"

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

"Happy Thanksgiving"

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

From one Reel Collecting Turkey to all Collectors and ORCA Members. A sincere wish for a great Thanksgiving hopefully spent with your families and friends. From "The Crossroads of America" Jon Kring
"Gobble Gobble"!!
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
nomdeplume57
Advanced Board Poster

Re: "Happy Thanksgiving"

Post by nomdeplume57 »

DITTO!!
Last edited by nomdeplume57 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Plus 1! Have a safe Holiday, folks and don't outgrow those Turkey Pants! :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Happy TG to all of my ORCA friends. The fish are happy; they are not center stage. With the cold weather we can clean and repair our reels. I hope everyone can take time off to play.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.
Mark
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

My memories of Thanksgiving are all good ones. My mother would get up early and get the turkey in the oven then get to work on the many other items that we were only to see on the table once a year on that special day. Sweet potato balls with marshmallows inside, turkey dressing with mushrooms, homemade cranberry sauce, mincemeat pie, etc, all meant that this was indeed Thanksgiving day. Turkey is common in stores today but in those times it was rarely seen outside of Thanksgiving and Christmas. I always loved turkey and the smell of that turkey roasting in the kitchen was a once-a-year treat that had me nearly insane with anticipation. This was heightened by the fact that we were only allowed a small breakfast on that day and that Thanksgiving dinner was never allowed to start before 2pm. I guess my Mother wanted big appetites come 2pm.

The Dinner was always attended by my Grandparents and occasionally by my Uncle and his family from Pennsylvania. As I entered my High school years, my Mother wanted me out of the house while the cooking was going on so a high school buddy and I would walk across the road and hunt rabbits, We walked the fence rows that bordered empty, harvested fields of northern Ohio, occasionally spooking a cottontail. There were no pheasants (they seemed to disappear about the time I was old enough to hunt) no turkeys and if someone saw a deer it would make the local newspaper. It was on one of those hunts when I was 17 that a lone Canada Goose flew over. We stood there with our mouths open as we had never seen one before and as it turned out we were not going to see another for 10 years. I was 32 before I saw a deer track in a field while looking for arrowheads near my mother’s home. When I moved to southern Michigan in 1970 deer were still somewhat scarce and turkeys nonexistent. Today I have turkeys and deer in the backyard and flocks of geese passing overhead daily. I shot lifetime deer number 13 (for me) last week and spent the next few days trying to heal all the aches and pains that followed dragging that deer out of the woods by myself. I don’t ever remember being that sore in my entire life! I am nearly 74 and since my hunting partner of 42 years passed away, the job of getting a deer out of the woods may be more than I am capable of in the future.

While my children were small (they are 45, 44 and 35 now) we still attended Thanksgiving dinner at my Mother’s when ever possible. Now my parents and grandparents are gone and my children live far away. After my first wife’s death, I remarried and we now attend Thanksgiving dinner at my wife’s daughter’s home in Illinois. This requires a drive through Chicago which for me is one part of an otherwise pleasant experience that does not build pleasant memories. Those empty fields of my youth are filled with houses and the grassy spots I pass while driving around Chicago are covered with geese. A lot of change has taken place over a lifetime, but I still approach nirvana when smelling that turkey roasting in the oven.

Happy Thanksgiving from Wild Bill
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

my daughter and her day-after-Thanksgiving buck
I'll be loading up on smoked-and-dried venison sausage from this, a staple for fishing trips.

As far as fishing goes, redfish at the coast are herding up right now with great days for anyone who goes out, and of course the Guadalupe tailwater is just now warming up for winter.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I thought we would see Steve's turkey again this year but nada!