New Heddon Book

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

New Heddon Book

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Ordered this awhile back. Came today. From the curators of the Heddon Museum in Dowagic. Leather Bound, name engraved, My pictures are lousy! Nice Book!!
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: New Heddon Book

Post by Mike N »

That’s a nice looking collectors edition.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Turn the lights on and don't stand so close, Jon! :D

So, what does this book tell us the the Heddon Legacy omitted? That's a better lure book than reel book, but they do a reasonable job.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

I tried lights on, lights off, a little higher pic. quality. I think I was not meant to be a photographer. New book is about twice the thickness of The Legacy book, might be twice the cost also.
R.Ellis always had me take the pictures I took for him outside in the sun light. Can you imagine my wife telling me today, I think you have enough books! I've heard that about reels many times.
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Got mine yesterday. If you want to see info or pix of the book, here it is: http://mtpublishing.com/index.php/defau ... odVVmaZNPN

Overall, a great reference. I was a little disappointed in that they did not include one single casting weight, which was a cataloged "lure". Lyons Museum sent me many Heddon catalog references to casting weights, but none are included in the book. Volume II will be all the Heddon reels, and Volume III the Rods. Guess the casting weights are not going to ever make it into a book.

Think the Reels volume will be very interesting to this club.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Matt: I've got some Louisville Golf Irons with Heddon Shafts in my collection.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Got mine yesterday. Very nice. Casting weights are an obscure area, with limited information sometimes. About 15 years ago I sold a red Heddon casting weight, with the "Heddon" trout decal. Only one I've ever had. Joan has been painfully slow putting these books together, which I totally understand, but the wait is worth it so far.
Mark
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Jonathan P. Kring wrote:Matt: I've got some Louisville Golf Irons with Heddon Shafts in my collection.
I have a small collection of Hillerich & Bradsby golf clubs with hickory shafts, so I was interested in your post. I see in the Roberts-Pavey book The Heddon Legacy, Heddon made shafts from the same material as their steel rods. Lloyd Magnum won the LA Open in 1949 using Heddon shafts. I searched on eBay and see that several manufactures used Heddon, including H&B and Louisville Golf. I actually don't know much about Louisville Golf, seems that they may be the newer player here.

I assume all Heddon shafts were steel. If they ever made a hickory shaft, that would be a real find.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle