Not easy trimming a collection

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
brandsxb
Big ORCA Fan

Not easy trimming a collection

Post by brandsxb »

I have collected reels and lures for 25 years. I had a room dedicated to displaying my treasures. However, the kids left and we sold the house and moved to a small condo in the city. The lures and reels are in a storage unit. I am selling stuff on eBay but it is work (photographing, writing descriptions, boxing, mailing). Going to conventions takes time and travel. Just a word of advice, if you don't love it don't buy it. I look at some of the lures and reels I collected and wonder, "What was I thinking!" I also realize I won't get what I paid for it. The reels and lures that have meaning for me will go to my kids but that is less than 1/10 of the collection.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Not easy trimming a collection

Post by Midway Tommy D »

If you enjoyed them while you had them displayed, that's all that really matters.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Like the man that jumped Buck Naked into a cactus patch said when asked about why he did it said ....

IT Looked like the thing to do at the time

Set your values and drop the rest off at Goodwill and get a Receipt of Declared Value and Deduct it
or Put some of them up HERE on ORCA in Lots and save time and sales commissions.
The reason most of us have so many Reels,Rods,Lures Cars,Watches ,Guns,old whatchamacallits is that WE COLLECT STUFF.......

Some call it a Disease but I call it a Passion .
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

It's a disease. The cure is to stop. I stopped, but only because I got too old. However comma I have the same problem trying to figure how to dispose of most of it. Answer:

Sell some at a reasonable price. Spend money on riotous living (can be done at any age)
Give away as much as possible
Will what you wish to whomever, let them sell if they need the money
Let executor of will deal with what's left over (They won't feel guilty selling your stuff at a garage sale or calling the junk man. You're dead and won't care.)
Problem solved.

Bad Bob