Wader and wading boot experiences

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Wader and wading boot experiences

Post by spadej1 »

Hey guys (and gals!), I’m looking for a new pair of waders and wading boots. I don’t have a ton to spend but want something of decent quality. I have had a pair of neoprene for many years but want to switch to breathables. I also am looking for thoughts on rubber soles with/without lugs vs felt. I pretty much have only slimy rock bottom streams around here and don’t want to break my neck. Reading all of the magazine or product reviews lead me to believe that I should give up fishing! I understand the felt sole controvery but can’t see how the newer rubber soles could be that great and hear a lot about lugs wearing out or coming out which ruins the boots after a few times being replaced. Any and all comments or advice appreciated!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Wader and wading boot experiences

Post by Paul M »

I have had serious slippage with felt soles. I currently use a pair of Simms with rubber tread and they seem fine. My breathable waders are by Patagonia. They are light and the shoulder straps/harness is comfortable all day. My first pair started leaking in the neoprene booty after a few fishing trips and they were replaced for free by Patagonia, so consider the warranty when buying. I recall getting them for a good price on eBay- new unused.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You might want to check on state regulations where you plan to fish in the future, too. Personally, I think it's a crock of crap, but a lot of states, including Nebraska, ban the use of felt sole wading boots. I guess felt soles collect more invasive species hitchhikers than fowl or fur bearers. :loco: SMH
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Thanks for your input. I’m not worried about travelling for fishing as that is highly unlikely right now but I am worried about our governing bodies being swayed by fake science and public perception. Not that felt wading boots don’t carry invasive species, just that there are dozens of other means that are much more likely to be of concern. I’ll get off my soap box now and shop around a bit more. Thanks again!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!