Roller Derby

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Roller Derby

Post by Reel Geezer »

And I thought sweaty women in tights zooming around a track on roller skates was a thing of the past. Recently the "rubber reel lady's" Red Hat group discovered that the Roller Derby was alive and kicking out here in Idaho. Last night some of the RH ladies took their husbands to watch our local team in action.

It was an evening to remember. Our Nampa group, the "Beet City Bombers" (that's sugar beets, not the eating kind) played a double header. The opening contest was against a team from Jackson Hole, WY, the Jackson Juggernauts. Our Bombers won in a close contest 174-173. My most vivid memory is a rather large lady sitting behind me yelling "Go Dy-no-mite" every time the Jammer broke free of the pack and headed around the track. The Jammer, "Dynamite" must have been a relative to have encouraged such rooting.

After the end of the first contest we were entertained with some belly dancers putting on a display of their talents. Enough said.

The second contest was against the Carson City, NV ladies. They are called the Carson Victory Rollers. I'm not sure who won that contest, for the RH ladies were all worn out and decided they had enough of smashing female bodies for the evening. A good time was had by all the participants and fans.
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Roller Derby

Post by Brian F. »

It's still a popular thing, although not as big as before. There was a three-day tournament that just concluded here in sleepy Hilo. Didn't know anything about it until we rolled up to buy lunch from the TX BBQ food truck parked outside the gym where it was being held. There's been a state-wide league here also for at least 10 years now.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."