Upstate NY bass fishing

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Upstate NY bass fishing

Post by spadej1 »

This could go in show and tell, but it’s not Old Reel related. Check out this great score tonight. At 6.8lbs, its my personal best documented fish. Pretty good size for upstate NY!

-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Upstate NY bass fishing

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nice hog, James, that's a biggin' anywhere! Congrats!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Thanks Tom! It’s been a good year so far pre-season. Mostly smaller ones in the 1lb range, but good size and lots if them. I guess it’s the late spring and relatively cool weather keeping the bite going in shallows.
-James-
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

What outfit, lure-fly? Beautiful fish!

Bad Bob
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

I was born and raised in upstate New York. That’s a bragger for sure. The waters up there do not produce to many of that size! Congratulations! If you are anywhere near dead center of the state, look up Madison, New York. Near it is a lake called Lake Moraine. It has a road that goes across it and divides it in two. The small side is the side to fish with a row boat. Use a floating Rapala around the weeds and a purple worm in the weedy areas. 2 to 4 pounders and lots of fun! Enjoy and good luck!
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I caught it on a black worm with a twister tail, possibly a Zoom bait. The rod was just a Bass Pro graphite with a Pflueger President. This is a small lake 5 minutes from my house. There are quite a few decent fish in there, but you can’t always hit them. At least from shore, as I don’t have a boat. This year has been good with the 1lb fish, and I got a 2-3lb’er earlier this week. I’m hoping it holds up for a while as it usually dies fast by the time the season starts.

As far as geography goes, I am in the Ithaca area, so right near the bullseye of the state. Madison is only about an hour or so away, so I may check that out one day. I might be able to talk my friends into bringing their boat up there. Thanks for the heads-up!
-James-