Buffalo Plaid

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Buffalo Plaid

Post by Reel Geezer »

Throughout my long life two of my favorite sayings have always been that “Everything cycles” and “nothin’s new”. Fishing tackle, haircuts, clothes, sayings, etc. constantly return when enough years have passed. I find the latest fashion craze to be really humorous. This is the red and black pattern called Buffalo Plaid.

I always loved the illustrations on the covers of outdoor magazines of the early 1900’s. Philip Goodwin was my favorite artist and today his calendars and prints decorate our house. In these paintings there always seemed to be a couple of hunters, fishermen, or loggers in a canoe, or around their campfire, watching or shooting at a deer, bear, moose, or fighting a leaping trout. Many of these outdoorsmen wore wool shirts of a red and black plaid.

As a young outdoorsman I always longed for, and eventually acquired, shirts and hunting coats of this red and black plaid. They were the uniform of a true outdoorsman, especially in the woods of the northeast. As new fabrics and styles were developed many of these wool outfits vanished, only to be reborn in the past few years.

In the past few months I have seen skinny models wearing buffalo plaid dresses and a profusion of men’s shirts in this 1900’s plaid. TV watchers cover themselves with buffalo throws and you can even buy buffalo sheets for your bed. Buffalo plaid is “in”.

I wonder if the current owners of buffalo plaid “things” are aware that the past dressers in this type clothing were outdoorsmen who owned guns and shot their dinner?
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Buffalo Plaid

Post by Midway Tommy D »

:jump: Where is the "LIKE" :cool button?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Steve, I now know it is a Rob Roy official plaid and worn pre- 1704. As I love to say, "Nothin's New". But I don't imagine any of those people I'm seeing wearing the plaid meet your qualifications. I sure don't.
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Reel Geezer wrote:Steve, I now know it is a Rob Roy official plaid and worn pre- 1704. As I love to say, "Nothin's New". But I don't imagine any of those people I'm seeing wearing the plaid meet your qualifications. I sure don't.
It's reminiscent of an famous outlaw and folk hero. Sure sounds like you :D :D :D
-steve
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I don't imagine any of those people I'm seeing wearing the plaid meet your qualifications. I sure don't.
Phil, I hope you're not stereotyping. Here are some highly-qualified uses (left to right):
1. Short skirt
2. Leaving a haggis restaurant
3. Looking for a bag for his pipe
4. In a haggis bar
5. Clock from state where many guys named Roy have been robbed.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Georgia colors!

Bad Bob (Georgia fan-unless they are playing Vanderbilt)