Not to change the subject, but...

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Steve
Star Board Poster

Not to change the subject, but...

Post by Steve »

shouldn't we be seeing Boise State vs. Ohio State on Jan. 8? What the bleep is the Fiesta Bowl? :x

Idaho's building up its reputation for fishing, football, and...what? Forensic science? French fries? Frisbee? Geezer, let us know.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Steve-First: The Fiesta Bowl is the Wednesday lunch special at the Cinqo De Mayo Cafe ($5.95 and worth every penny!)

Second: Boise State against Ohio State goes beyond the absurd.

Third: Is Boise State just a football team or is there actually a college in Boise by that name?

Third: What is a Boise?
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

Theree we go with two thirds again...

Jerry
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Big Blue

Post by Teal »

Well,

Boise has an impressive list of victories over the likes of traditional powerhouses such as Sacramento State, Utah State and Idaho.

Michigan beat such no-name teams as Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Penn State, and lost by three points to the number one team in the nation in their own backyard.

With the BCS the way it is I am sure Boise St. will end up playing for the national championship.

And the Fiesta Bowl is a china pattern from the 1930s, very collectable I hear.

--Dr. Todd
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Well, we can all keep making snide remarks, but bear in mind that the best way to determine the best team in any sport is to vote on it.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

The answer is . . . a playoff! Go with 16 teams - the champion from every Division I-A conference that ends the year ranked in the BCS Top 20 (let's give Boise State and BYU their shot this year, but not an 8-4 Central Michigan team ), fill the remaining openings with at large teams (use the BCS rankings to pick 'em), seed all the teams according to their BCS ranking, and let's go. You'd have the upset potential of the NCAA basketball tournament in the early rounds (fun!), give a small conference school that goes 12-0, 11-1, or maybe even 10-2 a chance, and ultimately the two best teams meet in the final.

I'm not necessarily convinced that Boise St. could make a run this year, but looking back, Urban Meyer's 2004 Utah team was legit, probably could have done some damage in a playoff, and certainly should have played a better team than Pitt in their bowl game to get a chance to prove it.

I'm just waiting for the NCAA to call and ask my opinion.
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Playoffs

Post by Jack Bright »

All in favor of playoff system, but forget the BS Champion (BS think a bit)
" We don`need No Stinkin`" computers to do our selections. And while on the subject we don`t need all the 'voice overs' on televised games, too
much blah, blah, just let us watch. Listen? Turn on the Radio.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

About Boise State University. Certainly they are not in the class of Oklahoma, and I'm sure the team will be scared to death playing a team with that history. However, maybe before you make fun of BSU you might consider the following:

1. BSU has only been 1-A for 11 years. Before that they won a Jr. College National Championship and played in the 1AA National Championship, losing to Marshall on Marshall's home field.
2. They have won 6 Big Sky Championships, 2 Big West Championships, and 5 consecutive WAC Championships. In 1980-81 theys won 22 consecutive games.
3. They have the 2nd best W-L percentage in 1A football. First is Oklahoma.
4. They have played Louisville twice in bowl games and are 1-1, and overall they are 4-2 in 1A bowl games. Two years ago they beat TCU on TCU's home field in a bowl game.
5. There are currently six BSU players in the NFL.
6. There have been 26 BSU All Americans.
7. There is one BSU player in the College FB Hall of Fame.

Not too bad for a school that ends up with mostly left-overs after the majors get the pick of HS players.

As stated above, they aren't yet ready to whoop Oklahoma, but watching that game last night I think they'd match up very well with Nebraska. They are certainly a team that most top ten teams will never make a home and home agreement with. None of them want to come here to play BSU.

FYI Miami will be playing Nevada in Boise in the Humanitarian bowl on Dec 31. BSU might not fight as well as they do in on field brawls, however.
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Boise State

Post by Jack Bright »

PW as usual, doesn`t forget ANY details. Used to be a popular blond singer
that sang: "Is that all there is ? My friend, is that all there is ? "
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Phil, no one's making fun of BSU. It's the stupid BCS system and ranking systems in general that are ridiculous. If teams from schools like BSU and Rutgers can be ranked in the top 10 or 20, they deserve to have legitimate shots at the top bowl games, including the BCS joke.

For the NFL, I'd suggest all teams play on, say, the Tuesday night after Labor Day. Then all the coaches and sports pundits can rank the teams, and the top two vote-getters go to the Super Bowl, which could be scheduled on, say, Halloween. The league could save an enormous amount of money on air fare, among other things, and the players could get through life with far fewer crippling injuries. And we the viewers could get through a season watching roughly forty fewer hours' worth of commercials.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Steve, I knew you weren't making fun of BSU, and knew what your point was. I agree the 1A football system is totally screwed up. I agree with Bill's suggestions completely. Every other college sport has a playoff, and so should football.

However...
Well,

Boise has an impressive list of victories over the likes of traditional powerhouses such as Sacramento State, Utah State and Idaho.

Michigan beat such no-name teams as Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Penn State, and lost by three points to the number one team in the nation in their own backyard.

With the BCS the way it is I am sure Boise St. will end up playing for the national championship.

And the Fiesta Bowl is a china pattern from the 1930s, very collectable I hear.
I think that message was meant to demean BSU and their accomplishments.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

You still haven't answered my question Phil. Is there really a school there by that name or is this all just a ruse for putting together a football team. I am suggesting (while unabashedly showing my ignorance of the liklihood there really is a superlative university in Boise with great achievements through the years) that neither I nor a lot of other folks ever heard of Boise State U. until they showed up on ESPN. Admit it Phil-This is all about money. All football is about money. Show me the money! Bad ("Two Threes") Bob
Ed Clark
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ed Clark »

Although I do not keep up with college football, I do keep up with college basketball. Being from Connecticut I am a UCONN fan. I have to agree with Bill on the way the NCAA uses the basketball tournament breakdown and have playoffs. Each team is then given an equal chance to advance. Until a few years ago who ever heard of Gonzaga? I am impressed with Boise State or any other team regardless of division that can put together a nice winning season. I never could quite understand all the equations used to figure out how the teams are seeded and what part of the country they end up getting seeded in.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Ed: I'm glad you brought up basketball. Obviously Bad Bob isn't a BB fan, or he'd have seen several western regional playoff BB games at Boise State. The most memorable to me was when Shaq was at LSU and they played here. I agree that the regions they play in make no sense.

However, everyone who was a Utah J*bass* fan (or fan of great basketball players) knew of Gonzaga, ala John Stockton. I agree completely though that they weren't known as a BB powerhouse until recent years.
Ed Clark
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ed Clark »

This thread has evoked some nice memories. About 30 years ago, I was stationed in Cheyenne. I used to go to the University of Wyoming and the Air Force Academy football games. Either one of the locations (Laramie or Colorado Springs) were cold places to watch football games. I don't think any of the people I used to go to the games with much cared who won. We would all get bundled up and sit in the bleachers wrapped up in blankets and drink brandy. It was all about the good times with good friends.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

OK Phil-One last try. Forget BB regionals and ice age football. What is Boise State known best for academically? I must presume that is the primary business of the school. I mean if athletics was dropped there would the school still be famous? Bad Bob
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

RAM: I thought your post was just a joke. So here's the most serious aspect of BSU. The Boise River running along the campus. There was a 13 pound brown trout (it might have been bigger) caught a few years ago in the river right at the school.

In addition to brown trout Boise is the home of the largest manufacturer of dRAM computer chips in the world. Micron is expanding into chips for cell phones, cameras, etc. They have financed a fantastic computer science department at BSU. However, there is a lot more...

There is a internet search facility called Google. It is so famous that the word is now an official part of the English language. I thought that even a graduate geologist would know about Google. But since you apparently don't, here is the first page of a Boise State University Search. You can take it from there if you are really interested.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Boise+St ... S:official

Incidentally, there are 1,700,000 items about BSU if you care to read through them all.

Finally, do you really find Boise State University to be a more unusual name for a University than Austin Peay, which I believe is in Tennessee.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

hah

Post by Teal »

1,700,000 items on Boise State?

Judging from the frequency of Bob's postings, I am betting he'll have them all read by next Tuesday.

--Dr. Todd
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

I'm going to have to call exageration on that one...I only found 1,450,000 hits on the search... :D
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I only found 1,450,000 hits on the search
Now that's really weird. When I posted above there were 1,700,000 hits, then when you looked you found 1,450,00. When I just clicked the link a minute ago it showed 1,500,000.

Bob, you better start reading quickly, or the number will go back up again.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I got 1,580,000. The counts say "about." Close enough for me.
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Boise State

Post by Jack Bright »

A 13lb. brown on campus grounds ? Would the school consider an ex GI(WWII) for summer school ?
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

To Phil, with all due respect-I said "one last try" but I never mean what I say. My point all along has been that (I have surely seen this happen somewhere else haven't I ?) that a school will spend whatever it takes to build a reputation as a winner in athletics. Yes, I know Boise State made a "profit" on its football team. They all do. That is how they pay for field hocky and women's volley ball scholorships. But this is a tried and true way to get the old alums to start kicking in when the annual fund drive starts. Last year, when UT (Tennessee, obviously) had a lousy year in football old school loving grads were cancelling promised gifts and burning Fulmer in effigy. Winning=money!
I rarely Google anything. Remember when I asked for the correct answer to the square root of a number and not one ORCAN (even Steve!) got it right? You said "Get real Bob-Just Google it!" Well, Phil, you may also recall Google's answer was wrong! There may have been a million hits but if the FIRST ONE is wrong why look at the other 999,999?
Lastly, I know Boise State is a fine school. I never said it wasn't. I was hoping you would tell me they had a great geology dept. and nothing else need be said. Still may never have heard of it if not for ESPN. Ever hear of Marist College? Google it. They have some good teams (even show up on ESPN) and I bet you can also get a degree there (Hint: Its in Poughleepsie NY but I didn't need Google to find that). Bad Bob- PS Austin Peay was an early governor of Tennessee. (More than you want to know about him on Google)
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I'm not sure I want to send this thread back where it started - Football, but it was just announced on our evening newscast that BSU's sophomore tailback, Ian Johnson, was chosen Sports Illustrated 1st team All American. FYI he led the nation in rushing touchdowns and was second in yardage per game. Selected to the second team was one of BSU's offensive linemen. Not too bad for a school best known for their geology department and 13 pound brown trout.

And Jack, you don't have to go to school to enjoy the fishing. Many business people spend their lunch hour casting flies downtown. There is also always the possibility of catching a steelhead up to 20 pounds downtown also. They dump several hundred excess steelhead from the Rapid River hatchery in the river every fall and winter.
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Boise Big Trout

Post by Jack Bright »

Phil--Does Boise have an airport ?