OK Bad Bob, check this out.

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

OK Bad Bob, check this out.

Post by Reel Geezer »

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif? ... swin.shtml
Obviously BSU can talk a good game. Some of those defeated teams are BCS Universities.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

OK Geeze-I'm honestly impressed. You must have a good debate team coach too. I am guessing that since they beat out SEC schools Vandy may well have been one of them. Still, while we are discussing scholastic merits, not athletic prowess, consider:

Vanderbilt just claimed its fifth Nobel Laurete. This time it was a lulu-the Peace Prize, going to Muhammad Yumas, PhD VU'71. Probably heard about him on recent TV. Others can be checked out at:
http:/www.vanderbilt.edu/alumni/publications/20gifts.pdf

A few more interesting facts about the my old school:
More than 77% of VU first year students this year were in the top ten percent of their graduating class (I was never in the top ten percent of anything)
Their average GPA score was 3.73, Average SAT 1370 (WOW!)
U.S. News and World Report this year ranked VU 18th best university in U.S.
Vu was ranked 53rd best university in the WORLD by the Times of London.
2006 was yet another year at VU with a losing football record, proving (along with debating) "You can't win'em all!
Boise State has a way to go but it is good they are heading in the right direction. I will be cheering them on against OKU. In the meantime, Merry Christmas! Bad Bob
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Well, at my school, UH (not University of Houston) they figured out that the dreaded formosan termite can't eat it's way through a layer of basalt rock that is not too big, not too small, but juuuust right. Unless you've ever lived through watching your house disappear before your very eyes, you'll know how great an invention this is.

ImageImage

Oh yeah, they also made history by cloning a bunch of mice.

Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Bob, you must not have read that piece about almost everyone in HS and college now getting straight A's . SATs, grades, and college rankings mean nothing anymore. Some colleges now have hundreds of people graduating Cum Laude or Magna Cum Laude (did I spell that right? My Cum Laude degree wasn't in spelling).

I greatly appreciate winners of Nobel prizes in the sciences, etc. However, recent peace winners leave a great question about the sanity of the selection committee.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Jeez Geez-Picky, picky, picky! The way I figure it if almost every kid gets straight A's, then maybe, just maybe the top ten percent deserved A's. Remember I didn't say the VU applicants all got A's, just that they were the top ten percent. UT often gets the bottom ten percent, but most are gone by year one (except running backs and wide receivers).

As to the Nobel Peace Prize, this guy Yunus truly deserved it. He almost singlehandedy brought hundreds of thousands of people out of poverty in one of the world's poorest countries-Bangladesh. His bank now services 71,000 villages! The ONLY answer to world peace is a worldwide free market-controlled economy where all people can share in prosperity. Poverty and ignorance breed wars! Cheers for Capitalism on every scale! Incidentally, these borrowers paid back 99% of their loans! Wonder what percent of Boise State student loans(or VU either) have been paid back?

Brian-Tell them to please not clone Mighty Mouse. As to the dreaded Formosan termite, also please keep it out of my limestone country!
Bad Bob
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Brian my wife had the (as she puts it) dubious distinction of graduating Magna Cum Laude from UH

my sister graduated Summa Cum Laude from the Other UH
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

And At The Other End Of The Scale...

I graduated from The School Of Hard Knocks...at age 55, when I retired. Not very glamorous, however my wife was impressed.

And most important of all, our dogs are happy!

Jim