Web Site Problems

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Web Site Problems

Post by Reel Geezer »

I'm not sure if anyone here has noted that our web site is slowly disintegrating. I have been aware of a problem for over a week, but have been unable to repair the site. The problem arises because our past "webmaster" (I guarantee I'm not webmaster) used his credit card to pay the web fees, and never revised the billing data in December 2005 when I resumed editing the site. The web hosts require the last four numbers of the paying credit card to identify a person before they will make any major changes. I was able to access the site to update it during the year, but I cannot clean it up without presenting a full identify. The files are corrupted and need to be totally wiped clean and reloaded. At this time I have no access fix the site.

Then to compound the problem, I had a computer melt down last week. I now have a new system up and running, but have not yet got all my files loaded into the new computer. Hopefully we will be able to get everything up and running sometime next week.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this is causing. I had already written the pages for the Convention flyer and an entry blank, so it is not the fault of the convention host that there is no information on line.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Thank You!

Post by Jim Schottenham »

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Phil for all his time and effort trying to correct the site problems, and for keeping it up and running to this point as well! He's done a great job! :!:
It won't be long now Phil, and the brush will be flooded on your lake, and you can cast those Herb's Dillys and bubble gum Senko's to bruiser bass hiding in the shallows.
C'mon spring!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I agree with Jim and want to say thank you, Phil, also.
Farace
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Farace »

I'm not an expert, but the web host should have a procedure in place for allowing you to regain control of the website. I'm involved with an arts group that had a webmaster go AWOL, leaving no one the information needed to access the site files. We had to jump through a few hoops, but we did manage to regain control. It's been a few years now, and I don't think I remember exactly what they required, but I think we needed a letter from the group's president (who had no hands-on involvement with the site but was listed as the administrative contact on the domain registration) on our letterhead. Contact the web hosting company and explain the situation. I'm sure they have procedures in place for dealing with things like this.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

We are going through the hoops. Part of the problem is that I assumed that ORCA had been paying the web fees. Roger is getting an ORCA credit card now so that all web fees will be now paid by ORCA rather than a member who might stay on as webmaster, or who might quit - Like I am going to do in July. (See webmaster wanted post). Have patience and everything will work out OK.