A note to John the Elder et Al

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

A note to John the Elder et Al

Post by RAM »

Won't get into my feelings for Al-You already know basically how (but not why) I distrust him.
To the Global Warming Issue:
Anyone short of a fool would not deny the reading of several thousand thermometers around the world in recent years indicating warmer temps. Saying I am the cause goes past preaching and gets into meddling.

However, it has been MUCH warmer than this in the very recent geologic past-even historic past (Vikings not only settled Greenland from 800-1450 but had lush pasturage there and raised sheep-Got killed off by the "Little Ice Age" which lasted for about 300 years. The Vikings did not cause either the nice warm spell or the doom of bitter cold).

All civilalization has come into existence since the last retreat of continental glaciers ten thousand years ago. This last few millenia is a miniscule period compared to past interglacial stages (some much warmer than present).

The continental glacial stages were not caused by great changes in solar radiation (these don't seem to occur), or by American-driven SUVs, but by a shutdown of the worldwide oceanic "conveyor belt" carrying warm water to high latitudes. Even El Nino is fickle, as we currently are aware.

A far greater disaster for civilation than global warming will be (not if, but when) a return to another glacial advance, about which we can do absolutely nothing. Cover most of Europe, Asia, and North America again with ice and see where civilization goes. Got all the way down to Southern Illinois the last time. Talk about a snow removal budget!

Of course, also keep an eye on big asteroids.

I am a cynic with no shame. I trust NO ONE who says we are doomed unless we do as they say, much less a group of weathermen who can't make an accurate seven day forecast, much less a one hundred year forecast. I will think it through a bit further before I agree we should shut down entire U.S. industries and give the money to someone else who promises to save us from self destruction.

For those looking for a doomsday scenario, watch for sick birds or some other new strain of virus. Our only hope then will be Steve. As for me, I would settle for a cure for the common cold.
Bad Bob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

(re-think...edit.)...go see the movie
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

My friend John who runs a research lab employing 50 Ph.D.s and M.D.s always says to not worry about bird flu--worry about something you can actually catch, like West Nile.

--Dr. Todd
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Your other friend John who collects fishing crap agrees..Palese is right...if it was going to happen, it likely would have happened already...plenty of opportunity to go pandemic,

Dr. John
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

What irony. The environmentalists who were so active (and successful) in trying to kill the U.S. nuclear power industry are now in the awkward position of having to start promoting it. You can't burn coal, you can't burn natural gas, you can't dam any more rivers, you can't make the wind blow when it doesn't want to, you can't make the sun shine when its cloudy, but you can make nuclear power. Hydrogen would make great clean fuel but you need almost as much energy to get it as you get by using it.

By the way, Al has several places he lives in (I live in one small house). His here in Belle Meade is one heck of a pad (Belle Meade is by far the wealthiest community in Tennessee). I can only imagine his heating-cooling bill. He uses far more hydrocarbons than do I (excluding those numerous big jet trips he takes). Most electricity here in Tennessee is produced by coal. Keep churning out them coal-fired kilowatt hours Al! Maybe he has some solar panels hidden on his back roof. Belle Meade doesn't allow them in front and you sure can't go up his driveway and ask about them. It has one heck of a gate.

No one has told me yet what they expect me to do. I am already one of the most environmentally careful average guys you are likely to ever meet. Have been for over 40 years. I rarely drive over 20 miles to go anywhere and don't drive a 20 foot long SUV, recycle everything, am never warm enough in the winter, belong to all sorts of environmental organizations (a list on request). Lead me AL! Save me from my immoral, greedy, foolish, freedom-loving self! Bad Bob

PS-The pandemic of 1918 came from somewhere, and it wasn't global warming. I'm watching for sick birds, whether they have bird flu or West Nile virus!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Bob, forget the birds. Keep an eye out for mutants of these:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Bob...when I next talk with Al, I'm going to nominate you as the Poster Boy for Good Environmental Citizenry...well done! Now, get about 6 billion others to join us :D
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Steve! Whatever those things are, don't let them out! Bad Bob