About the message board and our error message...

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

About the message board and our error message...

Post by Reel Geezer »

To try to answer any questions and stall off everyone who keeps emailing me.

1. I usually know when the message board is down, you don't need to email me. I try to check it at least twice day, but when it gets a bit warmer I usually fish every morning so don't get to check it until evening. However, you don't need to email me.

2. I have spent the past hour on the phpBB forum researching our problem and after browsing through almost 17,000 messages before I was able to get the search function to bring up our exact problem (#1226), I was able to ascertain that the problem is exactly what it says. We have exceeded our "max questions resource" (I am not sure how they arrive at this figure) which is currently 10,000. phpBB says that this is usually a figure per hour, and resets itself every hour so that is why it goes away. If you keep checking every five minutes to see if we are back, it probably maintains high numbers and forestalls the resource returning to under 10,000. I found many web sites with forums where the figure was set at 50,000 that were having the same problem we are having recently.

3. I learned from phpBB that our host sets the allowable "max questions resource" not phpBB. Previously I had assumed that all functions of our message board were handled by phpBB.

4. I have contacted our server, which is one of the highest rated web hosting companies in the world, and have explained the error message and asked them if they will reset our "max questions resource" to a higher figure so that this problem will be resolved. I should hear back from them within 24 hours and will add to this thread when I receive an answer.

5. I hope the message board will be running at that time so that you will all be able to read the answer.

We have been using this message board at no cost to ORCA for around seven years. Some of you may not remember, but we had this same error problem a few years back and it corrected itself. I would guess that due to increased internet traffic and greater use by people that are lurking in the background reading your posts, we are just having a traffic jam. Hopefully, this will be resolved shortly.

Is anyone willing to step up and take over the very little maintenance required to keep this web site up and running? Or to redesign it to your own vision of how you'd like it to look? A volunteer is needed

I thought I should add that I am not going to maintain this site or this message board after July 1, so...
I might also add that I know nothing about web site construction, message boards, and computers other than what I learned by buying a program (MS Frontpage) and reading the instructions. Thus, obviously anyone can maintain this site.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Update:

I heard back from our host almost immediately, and they responded that it looked like the message board was working fine.

I responded that I knew it was - at this time - and related the past problems.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Update II:

I again received a very fast response, as follows:
I'm glad to hear your issue was resolved. I apologize for the inconvenience the issue has caused you. If you have any other problems with the same in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us directly at .
Perhaps they didn't really understand my message, or I didn't make it clear (of course they are probably in India), or possibly it cannot be corrected except when the board is down. Therefore I will let this issue ride until such time as the message board gives us a 1226 error message at which time I will refer them to our board and see if they can fix the problem immediately.

Thank you all for your patience and let's hope that I don't have to deal with this problem again.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Well, I had to deal with it again this morning (Sunday). This time I was able to send the error report to our server and I got the following response:
Dear Phil ,

Thank you for contacting IPOWER Technical Support.

I have updated the max_questions value for your the user orcaonli_p_bb1, and the forum is working properly. Please check this from your end and confirm. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. If you have any further issues, please reply to this message and I will be happy to assist you.
I am not sure what they updated the max_questions value to, but I hope we don't find out in the near future.

See how easy it is to be the ruler of this web site. Doesn't someone want to take over in July? You'll get to meet lots of nice people via email. And note that no one had any comments in this whole thread. Thank you all for your patience.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Phil...thanks for running this to ground...we all thank you...and yes, we are all pond scum...we are just afraid to open our mouths for fear of getting the job. i have solved the problem. I flipped a coin...Brian...you won...prepared for your new role in July! Bob..you get the back-up position. Unfortunately for me, the coin only had two sides.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Merv had indicated a while back that he's interested. Just checked with him and he still is.