Who are you Pulling For?

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Who are you Pulling For?

Post by Teal »

My very own Xavier University Muskies got a #9 seed and play BYU. This means about 2% attendance in Dr. Larson's U.S. History II on Friday.

So who are you rooting for?

In the case of Bad Bob, he has both Belmont AND Vandy to pull for!

Steve V.'s St. Joes, Temple and Drexel all are out. Who does Vernon pull for?

One of my other Alma Maters -- Univ. of Illinois -- got a #12 seed so I am rooting for them. No such luck for Univ of Minnesota or Univ of Cincinnati (my other two alma maters) the latter of which missed the NCAA now for the second year in a row after 17 years consecutively.

Anyone want to form a little ORCA group for an NCAA pick 'em pool?

--Dr. Todd
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Sure, as long as I can pick Florida! Bad Bob

PS-Vandy beat them once this year but if there is money involved I would bet on the Gators)
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

CEDES

Post by Jack Bright »

Xavier, former player(50s--60s), later a Piston starter Bob Quick and friend
reason. Get a volunteer, not you Bob, to run it, count me in and how about
for $ we use old beaters and the winner sends `em all to Stu Lawson.
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Addendum. . .

Post by Jack Bright »

RE: Xavier they get the pick of the litter after the first game. Then they lose to OSU, sorry Todd, that`s how i see it.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Hi Jack

Post by Teal »

You are probably right...

The only case I can make for the upset is that there are players on the team who were recruited by Thad Matta, who left Xavier in the middle of the night (after saying over and over he was staying) for Ohio State. Much bad blood over that. And the game is in Lexington which is just 70 miles from Xavier, tons of XU students will be there and Kentucky fans hate OSU so it will be like a home game. The XU players know Thad's offense intimately because that's what their coach Sean Miller runs, as he was Thad's top assistant.

That being said, its a long shot. XU was as high as 15 in the polls this year though, and only three years removed from their Elite EIght run.

My prediction: XU 69 OSU 68. Big upset.

Dr. Todd
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Halfway there! Two point win over BYU. Now for the Saturday prognostication...

GO X!

Dr. Todd
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Xavier-Only team in the tourney with name beginning with X. For that matter, is there any other school in the world with the name beginning in X? Maybe "X-Ray Med Tech"?
Checked out the XU thing. Named for (founded by?) Brotherhood of Xaverians (of St. Francis Xavier) who were dedicated to education. Founded by old Brother Theodore J. Ryken in Belgium in 1832. Bet not many ORCAns went to the trouble to look that up Teal-and I didn't use Google. Amazing how much knowledge is available without even turning on a computer!
Bad Bob (whose team won by 33 points in game one, but we better watch out for game two! They get meaner as you go along!)
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Well I'll bet you!

Good morning down there Bob:

In 1838 St. Francis Xavier Mission, which is also my parish church, was founded originally as the Cowlitz Mission. In addition to being the oldest mission in Washington state, it is also located just above one of the most famous steelhead rivers in the northwest, the Cowlitz, which is named for the named for the native inhabitants.

So there!

Jim
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Cool, Jim! Now: Steelheads weren't named for tough-minded Friars were they? To me they look like big rainbows. Maybe just a coincidence. What do tough-minded St. Francis Friars look like?

PS to Todd-There is bound to be a Xiangtan University in China, and maybe even a Xochimilco College in Mexico. Should have Googled that.
Bad Bob
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Decided to check Google. There IS a (an?) Xiangtan University! And the National University of Mexico is located in Xochimilco, although don't know if either boasts the sobriquet "XU" Todd. One thing is certain: Neither team is in the NCAA tourney! Bad Bob
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Franciscan Friars, Steelhead, and stuff:

Good morning Robert, Todd and all:

I'm certain that Dr. Todd can answer the question of what the Franciscans look like better than I can. But the ones I've come into contact with look pretty much like you and me. Good folks. And they are for the most part one of the more gentle orders in the church. The Jesuits definitely could fit the term "Steelheaded". They are often referred to as the Marine Corps of the Catholic Church. I took the bus halfway across San Francisco to go to Sacred Heart, a Christian Brothers school just to avoid those guys!

And you are correct. Steelhead are rainbow trout which migrate from their home stream out to sea...or into the great lakes, and then return home to spawn. They are magnificent fish.

As for their name, I don't know where it originally came from. The locals often refer to them as "chrome bright", but that still doesn't answer your question. For many years I thought the name referred to how tough they were to catch. At least that has been my experience. But when one of these critters nails your (fly, lure, bait or whatever) the reward is worth the wait. Definitely one of God's gifts to the fisherman and fisherwoman.

Jim
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Well Todd, the XU men played a great game. Wish you had won and taken out OSU from the tourney. I'm not naive enough to believe Vandy has a real chance, but at least they have made it into the "Sweet Sixteen". Georgetown whipped us pretty bad first game of the season, but Vandy was not much of a team then. Since they have improved greatly. But then so has Georgetown too most likely. Go Commodores! Bad Bob

PS Jim-Interesting that rainbows, browns and I believe even brook trout (brook char to be correct) can be sea run as well as content in fresh water. Maybe only sub-species, or at least somewhat genetically mutated varieties, can do this SW migrating thing? Have friends who have caught huge sea run browns in Tierra del Fuego SA.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Hi Bob,

Yes, it was a heartbreaker. A free throw to beat the #1 team in America with all the hype around it, and the poor kid--who had a career game by the way--lips it out and OSU hits a 25 footer to tie at the buzzer. That's why they are #1. Still, I thought XU acquitted themselves as well as anyone could have imagined. If you weren't vested in it, it was a classic game and as good as any this year. I am saddened for my students, but happy they played such a great team to the wire.

As my other teams lost heartbreakers too, I am now a Vandy and Kentucky fan. Gotta love March Madness.

As for Steelhead, they are indeed both anadromous (like many salmon) and completely fresh water and one of the great fish in the world. Where I grew up in Duluth, MN there is a reverence for these fish.

Franciscans are a fine order (I can't tell the orders apart by sight). Despite their sometimes steelheaded reputation, Jesuits have actually morphed into the most liberal branch of the Catholic Church, and are now primarily focussing on education (Jesuit colleges include Xavier, Georgetown, St. Louis Univ., Marquette, Loyola-Chicago, Santa Clara, Gonzaga, and about six others). All of the aforementioned schools have had or currently have excellent basketball teams. Ergo Jesuits are basketball fans.

--Dr. Todd
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Interesting that rainbows, browns and I believe even brook trout
Cutthroats also go to the ocean and back to coastal rivers on the Pacific coast.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

The SEC has long had a reputation for fielding good football teams. Interesting that there are now three SEC teams in the "Sweet Sixteen" plus Memphis plus two outstanding Tennessee teams in the women's tourney with UT most likely to get to the final four (VU with a good chance to get to the "Elite Eight"). You get what you pay for, as they say, except it costs Vandy a bunch more than most schools. All inclusive cost for one year at VU (tuituion, books, room and board, plus who knows what else they charge for) is currently $42,000! You gotta be: Rich, poor, exceptionally bright, a minority, or an athlete to get there. Folks like me? Forget it! Cost when I was a freshman was $500.00 a year (plus about $100.00 for books). Times have changed. Bad Bob
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Good morning friends:

Always new stuff to learn here. Didn't know about the sea run brown trout. That's interesting. And Geeze is on the ball; totally forgot about the cutthroat trout!

And Dr. Todd, I do hope that you know that I was speaking about the Jesuits "tongue in cheek". They are great teachers...just a bit tougher than I thought I could bear in my high school years.

And there is another Jesuit school to be added to your list...The University of San Francisco. And in the early 1950s, they also had a pretty good basketball team, winning two national championships. Bill Russell, K.C. Jones, Stan Buchanan, Mike Farmer and Jeff Mullins all went on to play in the N.B.A., and the rest is history. I had the chance to see them play several times, and they were something very special. Bill Russell is one of the greatest players ever, and a true class act. I surely wish today's players would follow his example more often.

Jim