2011 ORCA in Waupaca: Day 2 fishing!

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

2011 ORCA in Waupaca: Day 2 fishing!

Post by Richard Lodge »

Great times today with the antique tackle fishing tournament, lots of anglers and some fine fish brought to hand. Here's a couple photos from fishing:

Show host Robin Sayler (who co-hosted it with his wife Heather) shows the 18" pike he caught:

And Don Buchbinder with his monster pike, that measured 29 1/8":

Afterward, Bob Halver gave a talk on Airex reels and showed a lot of examples, including these:

and Jim Schottenham gave a talk on Fowler and Clinton reels, with some wonderful examples:

Stay tuned, folks. Lots more to come from this year's ORCA Annual Convention in Waupaca, Wisc.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Great photos, Richard, and thanks!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dan Basore smoked the field for Total Length and numbers...4 bass and 1 pike for a total of 60 inches:
one:

#two:

And FINALLY, his photographer and Personal Boatman got off the schnide with his first Northern--18 1/2 inches:

Sorry, Brian..didn't get tackle pics, but Dan used a Shakes Sportsman with custom rod and I was using a Langley Streamlite with a Champion Handle Rod...not fishing tackle's finest hour, but travels well from CA!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Great shots of nice fish, JE, and I do see some of the tackle in the background. Congratulations to Mr. Basore! Hey, that's no puddle of a lake either. I'll bet you got a good workout motoring the two of you around. :lol:
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Hey Richard...who's that good lookin' guy on the left? The Rod (St Croix Fishing Machine) I recognize! Is that you Richard?! You threatened to take your's to the show. And who's that ugly guy on the right?! :wink:
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

You guessed 'em

Post by Richard Lodge »

That's me on the left with the Fishing Machine (although I used a South Bend 290 bamboo rod to catch a small bass) and President Elder on the right, before he beached that big pike, shown in previous pics.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

You two were wearing Neon Signs...LOL!

John, who gaffed that Pike for ya? (It's the scotch talkin'...LOL)

Richard...seriously, Thank You for keeping us in touch with the National. If we can't be there in body...we are in soul.
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Deke,

Langley Streamlite?, I'm thinking you are starting to use the right tackle!

Alan
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Saw more Supremes there than any other reel. Wrong?
Bad Bob
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

Richard and John - Thanks much for the photos, they were great. Congratulations to Dan for showing everyone how to put the fish in the boat and to Don for that big Pike.
After reviewing the photos I'm guessing I lost my wager that was placed on Len, he must not have been using a Darter as I suggested. Also what happened to Bill Muth? Talk so much smack that he was to exhausted to fish? Looks like you all had a great time with the tournament.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Warren, I choked. Only had one chance all day - a 30"+ pike came out of the water after my Pflueger Chum spoon but missed it. Couldn't get him to come after it again. Basore schooled the field, and Don's big pike was very impressive.
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

ORCA Fishfest

Thanks to all for the neat photos. Lots of smiles (excluding the fish) and it seems that Dan had an unfair advantage wearing that shirt. Looks like a chum pattern to me.

Some years ago a young fellow mechanic from our shop at UAL went outside of the Golden Gate on a Salmon Charter boat with our crew. It was his first time and we were 30 miles from shore, when Don started projectile vomiting. He caught the first, and largest salmon of the day, and got his limit as well. Needless to say, we let him know in no uncertain terms that his chumming technique was an unfair advantage. Didn't seem to bother him at all, and he won the pool. We threw him off the boat (after we docked at Fisherman's Wharf).

Jim
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Jim...I'm takin' Don's side. Put me in a 15 footer on Puget Sound in rough weather, no problem. A 23 footer 12 miles off the west side of Vancouver Island, no problem. I get fish.

Stick me on a Charter boat "anywhere" and I limit out with the biggest fish, everytime. But at a cost. I spend most of the time hangin' over the rail callin' fish into my bait. I think it's the green-face refection bouncin' off the surface and the heaving sound that brings 'em in...? That's hard fishin'! Cuddo's to Don! Tough technic to master. Comes naturally, to only a few. :oops: