2012 ORCA National Convention at Lake George, NY Sept. 12-15

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

2012 ORCA National Convention at Lake George, NY Sept. 12-15

Post by Brian F. »

14th Annual ORCA National Convention Returns to the Adirondack Mountains September 12-15, 2012

The Lake George region welcomes back the members of the Old Reel Collectors Association, returning after a great show held there in 2006. This year, host Henry Caldwell and co-host Jim Schottenham have put together a great schedule of events, from the antique fishing contest held on what is often referred to as "the Queen of American Lakes", 32 mile long Lake George, to the seminars held at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Fresh Water Institute, to the annual member dinner cruise aboard the beautiful Lac du Saint Sacrement as it takes us on an "on the water" tour of Lake George. All culminating with our annual show on Saturday, September 15th to be held at the Bolton Landing Conservation Club, with its own pond a few feet away.

For those of you flying in, the Albany International Airport is your best bet, with a straight drive up the Adirondack Northway to the Lake. The host resort, the Northward Ho! Is located on Lake George, with its own private beach, onsite coffee shop, picnic areas with BBQ's and more! If you have a boat to bring, they also offer dock space for boats up to 20' in length. Owner and ORCA member Donald Roessler is ready to take your reservations at 518-644-2158. With limited space, this one will sell out fast! As the guest speaker is selected and seminar topics and presenters are confirmed, we will update both the ORCA website and Reel News. Local details such as restaurants, shopping, tourist attractions, pharmacies, and more will be listed in the next issue of the Reel News. If there are any details you need, please contact Jim Schottenham at jim [at] sidemountreels.com and he'll be sure to include the information for all to benefit. For those that did not make the Lake George convention in 2006, I can promise you an event you won't forget, and one where you'll be glad to bring your spouse, significant other or anyone that wants to enjoy the hospitality that only the Adirondacks can provide! Get your table reservations in now, using the registration form provided in this issue of the Reel News.

Hope to see you all there!

When:
September 12 - 15, 2012

Where:
Northward Ho! Resort

Address: 4648 Lake Shore Drive, (Mailing Address: P.O. Box 464, Bolton Landing, NY 12814)
Phone number: 518-644-2158.
Owner - Donald Roessler (ORCA Member).
Information and prices available at website: http://northwardho.com/

Draft Agenda:
Wednesday, Sept. 12 - Evening Barbeque as a kick off event. Room trading. Travel day

Thursday, Sept. 13 - Break feast with the Board; Visit Fly Fishing Museum in morning (about an 1 hour and 15 minutes drive one way); Seminars in the afternoon and evening at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Fresh Water Institute (may have a lunch there); Silent Auction; Room trading.

Friday, Sept. 14 - Fishing Contest at Resort on Lake George; Casting contest at Resort; Silent Auction; Lake tour and banquet on the Lac du Saint Sacrement; maybe seminars, room trading.

Saturday, Sept. 15 - Show at Bolton Landing Conservation Club, Ends at 4 pm.

Sunday, Sept. 16 - travel day.

For specific information: Call Henry Caldwell at 518-796-3445
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: 2012 ORCA National Convention at Lake George, NY Sept. 1

Post by Brian F. »

Lake George was the 2006 convention site and we all had a great time. President Jim Schottenham was the co-host with this year's host, Henry Caldwell. Here is a report on the action from Lake George, NY in 2006
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Here are the registration forms (sorry, giant size my fault):
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Just a reminder. In just a couple of months, it's going to be another great get-together of reel collectors, old and new friends in a great location. Don't miss out - it's not too late to make your plans!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Don't forget that our 2012 National Convention is right around the corner so make your plans now! Co-Hosts Henry Cladwell and Jim Schottenham have a great event planned so don't miss it.

Just a few photos of this year's site, Northward Ho! borrowed from their website:

Motel

Lake George Sun Deck View

Cottages
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

The Northward Ho is booked but rooms are available at few nearby hotels.

What it the best airport to fly into? Albany or Rutland VT?
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

In 2006, I flew into Albany through United and it was 20-30 minutes away.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, Brian.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

I see that the show on Saturday is at the "Conservation Club".

Where is this in relation to the hotel?

I am only able to come on Saturday, so will be driving straight to the show.

Dean.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Bolton Landing Conservation Club. (518) 644-2702 | 56 Edgecomb Pond Rd, Bolton Landing, NY

Looks like it's about a mile away N/NW from Northward Ho! but roads might be a little more indirect - check out google maps, etc.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks Brian.

I appreciate it.

Dean.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

OK gang, the seminar lineup for Thursday Sept.13th is set:
Mike Nogay will present on the Origins of O.R.C.A.
I'll be presenting a seminar on using the web for all "reel" things (Hosting photos, using web applications, etc.) with a question and answer period (bring your internet questions!)
And, featuring Andy Foster on Tournament Reels.

Henry and I have been in contact with all the regional media, including a plug on the Upstate NY outdoor radio show this Saturday, on WABY, hosted by Saratoga Tackle owner Tim Blodgett, several newspapers, etc. If the public response is anything like it was for our convention in 2006...it should be great!

See you all in a week!

Jim
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

I should be getting in by noon Wednesday. Will set up the registration table early that afternoon. Will also set up the Silent Auction tables. Donations are welcome. Will have ORCA store items available also. I think we are going have a good number of members in attendance based on pre-registration.

Roger
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Jim: what time will we start the presentation on Thursday, and where?

Roger: where will the registration table be set up on Wednesday? I assume it will be in your room at the Northward Ho or the lobby.

All: Can we set up at the convention center Friday night, or what time do the doors open for exhibitors on Saturday morning?

Thanks.

MIKE
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Mike,
Thursday, Sept. 13 - Break feast with the Board; Visit Fly Fishing Museum in morning (about an 1 hour and 15 minutes drive one way); Seminars in the afternoon and evening at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Fresh Water Institute (may have dinner there); Silent Auction; Room trading.
Since the trip to the Adirondack museum will take a few hours, we'll plan on starting the seminars at 6pm. We'll look at having a meal there as well.

As for show set up, since there is no security on staff, we're asking members to set up Saturday morning, beginning at 7am, with the public show times from 9am to 4pm.

Jim
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, Jim.

I assume this is the street address for the RPI Fresh Water Institute for the Thursday 6pm seminars:

Darrin Fresh Water Institute,
5060 Lake Shore Drive
Bolton Landing, NY 12814

***email address removed***

(518) 644-3541
Fax (518) 644-3640
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Jim Schottenham wrote:As for show set up, since there is no security on staff, we're asking members to set up Saturday morning, beginning at 7am, with the public show times from 9am to 4pm.

Jim
Jim,

Do ORCA members attending the show need to have a table to get in at 7 ?

Dean.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Mike - yes, that is the correct address. I'm sure we'll all carpool up the road to the site.

Dean - no table needed to gain entrance at 7am - all members are welcome. The public has been invited in starting at 9am.

Jim
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, I'm finishing up assorted stuff at work and now starting to get into Nationals mode! I spent the morning trying to sort out what bits of tackle to bring and what reels to give a run for the casting competition. When you are flying 2000 miles to get there, you have to think a little longer about what to pack and what to risk on a trip the involves Ohare airport! Now, I can hope that some over-zealous security person doesn't decide a treble hook is lethal. I've had good luck in the past, so hopefully, will this time.

PS: Jim/anyone...what's the likely weather/temp to be this week? Looks pretty warm, so shouldn't have to pack the heavy stuff, eh? ...but cool at night?
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Don't fly with any Denver reels. TSA sometimes thinks some of the goofier ones are drug paraphernalia. :wink:

Dean.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

John,
I'm in Waterbury, CT right now and it's been nice since Sunday. A bit cool at night but I've yet to use a windbreaker. Already been on the road for 5 days.