2013 ORCA Convention - Friday

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

2013 ORCA Convention - Friday

Post by Richard Lodge »

Another interesting day here in Frankfort. Among other things, we learned that Daniel Boone's body, which was supposedly moved from Missouri to a cemetery in Frankfort, might not be buried here at all, even though his grave is a tourist destination. And we learned tons about B.F. Meek reels, from Ron Gast, and quite a bit about Kentucky silversmiths - some of whom also made fishing reels - from silver expert Jerome Redfearn. And we learned that Craig Barber is the king of the hill (albeit a very small hill), when it comes to a dominating toss in the Stu Lawson Ugly Reel Toss.

And man, are we seeing reels!
Here's some of Doug Carpenter's Kentucky reel collection:

And some from Ron Gast's stable:

Part of Don Buchbinder's amazing Penn reel display:

A sweet B.F. Meek & Sons reel:

Some of the gang checking out the Milam reel display in the lobby of the Center for Kentucky History last night:

And yes, we captured Craig's winning form for those who want to practice for next year's Ugly Reel Toss. That's Henry Caldwell, secretly glad he didn't have to take home that handful of ugly reels that Craig won for his effort:

Wait, there's more. Jon Kring passed along this photo he took of John Elder, from left, Bob "Bad Bob" Miller, who just cruised in today from Nashville, and me leaving the reel toss stadium:

And I just remembered this photo I took of a t-shirt for sale at the place where we rented the canoes to fish Elkhorn Creek yesterday. Deliverance, anyone?

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: ORCA convention Friday!

Post by Brian F. »

Great photos, Richard! Amazing that all those reels can be in the same place at once. And very good to see BB out and about!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

We estimated this morning that there was about a million dollars worth of tackle in the showroom! ... Just an awesome National... Betty and Doug knocked it out of the park!
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Well knowing that I could not attend the Kentucky Nationals I was always shying away from this page, more great pictures! Anyone take any Floor shots showing all the tables from high up? I asked john to do so but he could not find Nello Armstrong to take the shot or him. did someone say deliverance?
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: 2013 ORCA Convention - Friday

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I wanted to catch the historical speaker as he was leaving and say Mo. and Ky. can argue over Daniel Boones remains, but being from Indiana , all of us Hoosiers really believe he is burried in Indiana. (Not really)