And the 2013 "Winner" is.......

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

And the 2013 "Winner" is.......

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Bill Muth was in the bow of our canoe and I had my doubts when he said he was going to use a Pflueger Tandem Spinner (shows what I know LOL). Two cast later he landed this beauty then went on to land three more before losing the biggest fish of the day beside the boat. Bill won the ORCA National fishing contest by a wide margin. Bill is our ORCA Vice President, a great guy and apparently an even better fisherman! Bill used a solid steel Bristol rod and a Pflueger Supreme Reel.

Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Re: And the "Winner" is.......

Post by Bill Muth »

I owe any success to my guide, and of course that magical Pflueger Tandem Spinner. I think Bill's exact quote when I announced that I was switching from the Rainbow colored Palomine that I was throwing to the Tandem Spinner was, "That smells like desperation."

Anyone who gets a chance to go fishing with Bill Sonnett should take it. I learned more in those four hours about wildlife, the beautiful scenery around us, canoeing rapids, and fishing than I have in the last several years.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

And THAT is what the ORCA National Antique Fishing Contest is really about! Thanks for sharing this Bill and Bill. And Congratulations to Bill M for a fine catch.
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Nice Photo Bill, funny I have been a member for almost 3 years and have never seen your picture! I assumed you were way older? I would like to put this picture in the ORCA's ( http://www.FishingReelResearch.org ) website? Under the ORCA Face Look page. Unless you have a better one? PM me if needed. :)
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Robert: I don't think there is a better photo of Bill, than to see him smiling and holding that great smallmouth. Thanks to Bill Sonnett for a fine photo and nice report about the winning fishing trip.
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Thanks Richard, I went into the Face Look page in ORCA's http://www.FishingReelResearch.org ) and re-cropped most all pictures, they were a little to close! So I backed them up, now I feel that they look great and would very well like to switch out several with some of these new ORCA Frankfort, KY ORCA Nationals Show pictures. I think once the dust settles from the Show, our members will look and maybe change their minds! I all ready have some great photos of Bill Sonnett, just wanted some newer ones. Would you like me to remove the deliverance guys, I can change reels anything you want, at the time I thought it was funny, me and my sick mind! the other guy is Catfish Carol :)
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Couldn't have had a better winner! I told Bill M. he was the first person in O.R.C.A. my son and I met when we joined. What a great example for the club. He was very friendly and helped make the new experience
fun. I would give him an award for that too. Congrats, Bill M.
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

Hold on guys - - - Now for the rest of the story. Bill Muth wouldn't have been in the front of Wild Bill Sonnett's canoe if I hadn't gotten cold feet at the thought of a six mile canoe trip with a sore back. I told Wild Bill to pick up another partner at the river. He couldn't have gotten a better partner than Bill Muth, as I'm pretty sure Wild Bill and I wouldn't have gotten much, if anything.

I'm also happy for Bill getting to see what a joy it is to be on the water with Mr. Sonnett. My congratulations to both of them!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

After my last trip in a boat with Warren in which he did a back flip out of the boat into two feet of water and four feet of muck, Bill Muth was a definite improvement and he smelled a lot better at the end of the day than Warren did covered in black muck --- LOL