2015 Convention, day 2 (Thursday)

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

2015 Convention, day 2 (Thursday)

Post by Richard Lodge »

Today? Quite a few more ORCAnians (thank you, Michael Nogay) arrived and a lot more reels got a good lookin' at. Bill Hoerter brought down a box FILLED with scores of reels from the estate of the late club member Steve Knier. Several of us helped Bill price the reels, with the proceeds going to Steve's widow. Steve's collection was vast, with quite a few Pflueger Medalists of many eras, lots of skeleton reels, Meisselbachs, vom Hofes (both Edward and Julius), some Silas Terry reels, Y&Es and who knows what else.

Here's Bill, tagging some of the reels:

Ed Pritchard, from left, chatted with Heather and Robin Sayler...

Some ORCA board members met to discuss some ideas for the coming year. Breakfast with the Board is at 8 a.m. tomorrow morning. Shown here, from left, VP Dick Braun, Secretary-treasurer Roger Schulz and President Betty Barr. That's board member Bill Sonnett on the phone in the middle of the table, conferencing in from Michigan.

Oh, and there are reels. Lots of 'em. Here's a batch Butch Carey hauled up from Key West:

And a lovely little size 1 Edward vom Hofe fly reel, owned by Floridian Ed Slane. The reel is engraved "Mrs. R.T. Holloway" on the frontplate:

Susan Connelly gets a closer look at that little EVH:

And Betty Barr shoots some video of the ridiculously tame (and well fed) iguanas at the Islamorada Fish Company restaurant nearby:

Stay tuned. I'm hoping one of the intrepid anglers who went deep-sea fishing comes back with photos of the catch.
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Re: 2015 Convention, day 2 (Thursday)

Post by Tightlines666 »

Looks like fun. Thanks for keeping us posted. Do you have any more information on that cradle reel, or the gold lever drag behind it (pictured above)?
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Just arrived in Miami via Topsail Island where the Sharks run wild. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow afternoon!

And yes -- the 25th Anniversary ORCA book came with me!!!!!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Hi Tightlines.
That's Butch's reel so I'm clueless about it but I'll see if he can comment on this string or reach out to you directly.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Teal-- sorry I missed you; I'm on Topsail with extended family as I type this.

Keep those great photo's coming, Richard.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Thanks for the photos, Richard! Oops, looks like I missed a board meeting call?
butch carey key west
Advanced Board Poster

Post by butch carey key west »

Tightlinees666
The cradle reel is a fin nor lite 30 in a nep tuna cradle and the lever drag reel is a Heddon Dominator 6/0 all for sale. Interested?
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

butch carey key west wrote:Tightlinees666
The cradle reel is a fin nor lite 30 in a nep tuna cradle and the lever drag reel is a Heddon Dominator 6/0 all for sale. Interested?
Thanks for the quick response. Those old Fin-nors are cool reels. I know nothing of Hedon lever drags, but I do like the look of it. As of today, I have exceeded my self-imposed spending budget, so I will have to pass for now. My budget is largly dictated by how many reels I can repair/service. I had better get to finishing up the 4 monsters on my bench, and start cycling the 45 reel backlog here, so I can afford to buy a few more of the important things in life.

Thanks for the photos, and the response.

John