How many lucky members were able to attend?

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
orourke
Super Board Poster

How many lucky members were able to attend?

Post by orourke »

Just curious as to numbers attending. Was it more or less than average for a National. What is the average?

I know I thoroughly enjoyed the three Michigan Nationals (one in East Lansing on MSU's campus and the other two in Dowagiac). Even when it was in my back yard I could only make Friday and Saturday.

If you can ever make it, even for one day, you will be glad you made the time.

Of those attending this years national, for how many was it there first?

How many members have made every national meet?

I know we haven't had our own nation for too long. Seems like we used to have a meeting at the NFLCC meet. When did our own nationals start and where have they been located and what was attendance at each? do we know?

If the info is readily available I'd love to know. If it isn't could it be an article in the Reel News sometime this year?

Just Curious

Dave "O"

ps: if this info has been presented before I apologize, just point me where to view it.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I believe the first convention was in Lake Raystown, PA and you can see all the reports here: ORCA Nationals 1999 - 2007

I'm not on the board but am sure they have attendance info and other data that potential show hosts need to start planning. All of that may not be possible to post on this forum but I would think it can be made available to you...just say you're hosting a national, Dave! :D
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

What! Who? Me!

I wish Bronson was as fortunate as Dowagiac and had someone step up and save the old Reel plant. Technically it is still standing but I don't think any of us would be safe in the old plant. There are sky lights in it now that weren't there originally if you know what I mean?

Thanks for the reply Brian.

Dave
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dave...sounds like a great place for us to wander around with metal detectors :D .I'm in agreement with you that June is a tough month to get away.
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

If you haven't done so already click on the link Brian supplied for reports from previous Nationals. I started with the first in 1999 at Raystown Lake a resort in PA. I happily read or reread the write ups from 2000 in Rochester, NY; 2001 in Columbia, SC; 2002 in East Lansing, MI; 2003 in Dowagiac, MI; 2004 in Fife, WA; 2005 at a resort at Columbia Lakess, TX; and 2006 at Lake George, NY.

I was disappointed that there was no real meat and potatoes write up of the 2007 National in Dowagiac, MI. I hope a write up is posted for our recent Colorado Springs, CO National. They are a great way to get a feel for an event you were unable to experience first hand.

The Columbia Lakes write up did not mention the dates of the event nor did the Lake George write up. So, not counting those two Nationals there have been 3 Nationals in May, 3 in June and 2 in September.

Only the Lake George event listed the number of attendees 50.

If we could edit those previous articles and include dates and numbers attending I think they would better serve as historical references for our club.

I am wondering if attendance is greater when the event is held: at a resort; in a larger metropolitan area; in a small rural town/setting?

Anybody know?

Dave "O"
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dave: I'm pretty sure it relates more to whether the venue serves easily digestible food and 24/7 reruns of Matlock :D
Tom E.
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom E. »

We held the 2005 convention in Texas during the first week or so of May, primarily to get ahead of the hot Texas weather. We had about 60 members plus a bunch of lucky spouses. The next year in Lake George we also were in mid May, and I believe Henry and Jim were driven by the need to stay ahead of the "season" to avoid high prices and few rooms.
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Thank you for the reply and information Tom. There sure are a lot of variables that go into picking a date.

I wonder if we looked at smaller rural communities if there is much of an in season swing. Like Dowagiac, smaller town, rural community, do they really have a season?

Generaly those areas have smaller hotels too so Jack can be assured everyone will be close. Only bad thing about Dowagiac is Jack had to climb stairs, no elevator.

We haven't had a National in Indiana yet. With South Bend being a big collector name, are there remnants of their old manufacturing plants still around. Maybe we could do a show in the fall and catch a Notre Dame football game on the Saturday afternoon of that week end?

Now that would definately mean in season for South Bend.

Just thinking out loud.

Dave "O"
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

1999 Lake Raystown, PA June 10 – 12
2000 Rochester, NY Sept. 13-16
2001 Columbia, SC Sept 13 – 15
2002 East Lansing, MI May 27 – June 1
2003 Dowagiac, MI May 28 – 31
2004 Fife, WA June 3 – 5
2005 Columbia Lakes, TX May 4 - 7
2006 Lake George, NY May 18 - 20
2007 Dowagiac, MI May 31 – June 2
2008 Colorado Springs, CO June 3 - 8
reelland44
Frequent Board Poster

numbers attending 2008, dates

Post by reelland44 »

I just got back from 2 weeks out of town and so have not been able to post. We had 51 I believe register this year with another 12-15 guests, wifes, family members participating in the show and/or activities. Probably from my experience and I have attended all but 9-11 & NY, on the high side of average attendance.

I picked the dates as show host, and this is how most are determined as for most, getting a willing host, they are alowed to set it up at the most convient time for them to run and book in their community. The board does discuss and advise on dates and I got their approval before proceeding in booking and setting up this years show. I choice June 3-7 because I am a teacher and I would be out of school a full 1-1/2 weeks before the show, and almost all of Colorado's schools would be out, but not all. Any earlier would have been impossible for me to host, much later and the summer hotel rates would jump $20-30 a room minimum in Colorado Springs. It was my hope that families could take advantage of the Springs as a vacation trip as well as ORCA, but all school districts nation wide, even state or county wide or are not on the same schedule.

I did ask for rooms all in one section or one floor and was told that was impossible. This has been pretty much the way it has gone at all the shows I have attended, including NFLCC where the majority of rooms usually fall between 8-9 floors. They did up grade and move the majority of the ORCAns this year from normally $100 rate (we paid $80) single rooms to $140 two room suites and nearer to each other as possible. All who asked I believe were able change rooms during the show for the most part.

We could do as NFLCC and insist that the show only be during a narrow window in July, only be in a central location of the general club population, to try and accomodate everyone, buy I think that would mean that we would have fewer volunteers to host, no trout fishing contests in Elevenmile Canyon, or any of the other unique qualities of each of our individual shows.

I tried believe me to accomodate all I could, and it is an impossible task. However, the best solution to not being able to attend, is to host a show at the times you think are best and give it a shot. I don't mean this as a slap but it is not as easy believe me as it seems. You might come up with a better show for all and a model to follow, but no matter when you have it, I would bet not all can come that would like to for whatever reason. But, maybe for your show if you could host, some with the same date problems could attend and that would be great for all. So, think about hosting some day.

I could almost gaurentee I would be there as I have a great time at these and I know I made even more ORCA friends by hosting.

Next years show is being discussed for Florida but I am not sure of the dates or if they are set yet. Bill Land.
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Hi Bill:

Thank you for your input. My questions were mostly our of curiosity and desire to maximize possible attendance. I didn't take any of your comments as a slap and sure hope you didn't find my questions to be critical. I was merely lamenting the fact that I would not be able to attend.

Here in Michigan we do not start school until after Labor Day. The Governor thought that may spur one last hurrah for vacations in the State and boost the States dwindling coffers. The move however puts our children in school until nearly Mid June. In Bronson the last day of school was June 12. There is potential to go even later in the year depending on howmany snow days there were.

Believe me I know hosting a show is no picnic and I truly appreciate everyone who has undertaken the job. Sounds like I missed a great one!

Hope to see you all in Florida in 2009.

Dave "O"