Wanted: Meiss #11 Amateur

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Wanted: Meiss #11 Amateur

Post by corbo »

Hello,
This is my first post. I've been an ORCA member for a while, and attended the National last summer....loved it, and the opportunity to meet for the first time some people that really know their stuff.
I was smitten to collecting in 2009 with no "real" knowledge and made the usual mistakes. Early on, a Meisselbach skeleton appeared in my mailbox......double smitten. Phil White's book was next, triple smitten, and off to the races.
Long story short I've limited myself to fly reels, and to Meiss .....well honestly, a few Yale, Rochester, Carlton skeletons and singles of every little Hendryx raised pillar I can get my hands on, with a few little JVM's for good measure.
Persistence and luck have left me with only one Meiss hole to fill in the skeleton/trolling grouping, the #11 Amateur. Tough hole as I've never seen one other than in print. If anyone has one, or knows of someone that has one, that they are willing to part with, I certainly would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.
As a side note, from the Reel News March issue, it was interesting to me to note that only 3% of the current membership indicates Meisselbach's as one of their primary collecting interests. Great issue by the way.
Dave
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Wanted: Meiss #11 Amateur

Post by wrong99 »

I know of at least two ORCA members who have two of the finest Meisselbach reel collections ever assembled, so you may just get a response regarding the rare #11. Hopefully. Good luck.
Mark
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Do you have a photo of the reel you are looking for?
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Mark,

Thanks. I think I know who they are and have been in contact. D. Erickson helped immensely with a #12 last week with R. Schulz's suggestion. I'll just keep hammering with hope on luck. Appreciate your comment.
Dave
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

I don't. It's a little guy with gear on the front plate. 2 1/4 x 3//4 horizontal mount open frame Gogebic reel.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dave, no help with the amateurs, but let me know if your attention turns to Experts...if you have any holes in that group.

john
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Thanks John, appreciate your offer. The Experts are certainly a part of it. Last inventory done told me it was complete but I need to recheck and confirm all are up to snuff. Looking over my original post......"JVM's should have read "JVH's, my bad.

Reflecting, I do have a #11 Amateur but it's a one-off. The reel is correct but someone added a beautifully done "birdcage" around it, so I'm still a man on a mission. I'll take a shot at posting some photos of it later.
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Scott,
Here's some photos of an #11, but in forum parlay it's a Frankenmeiss. The reel is proper, but someone birdcaged it very nicely. Acquired it from a gentleman in Australia who told me there were another three in existence somewhere but he had no further info. Won't part with it and call it a Terry Bradshaw.......everytime I look at it, it yells...."Ain't I Purdy".
Dave
Last edited by corbo on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I am not sure if this is the one you are seeking. I see 3 patent dates but no maker/model name. The [edited] NUT on the rear bearing looks incorrect but it is cute. Dimensions are marked on the paper in the first picture. I could be persuaded to trade or sell.

Last edited by Paul M on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Hi Paul,
What you have is a #10 Amateur, not the #11 with the front gear. The nut fitment appears to me to be correct from the photo. Persuasion is an interesting word/term. I have close to a couple dozen Meisselbach baitcasters that need to exit stage left shortly, so trade, maybe, purchase is in interest as it duplicates a reel I have. I will send you a listing in good time. Thank you sir.
Dave
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I think the #11 has the exposed gear on the front plate? It was also a "horizontal" model.
Mark
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Is this a #10 Amateur? I notice a few differences from Paul's.

Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Here's a #11 and #12 Amateur

Post by Richard Lodge »

The Amateur #12 (vertical) is on the left. The little #11 is on the right.

(Scott: depending on the diameter, you have either a #7 (2 1/4" wide) or #10 (3") wide. The giveaway is the lever thumb drag.)

(just noticed the #12 tag is under the reel on the right, which is incorrect. That's the #11 on the right).
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

So Paul's is the #7 and mine is the #10 (mine is 3"). Mine also looks later than the others as well. Different knobs, mine has rounded back strap, the others pointed, etc. And looks like the thumb drag is opposite sides for the #7 and #10 as well? Thanks, Richard!
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Sounds about right, Scott. Phil White's excellent bible of Meisselbach reels shows the different styles of wooden knobs and the years they were used on reels. Mine are among the earlier variety and yours is quite a bit later.
R
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Awesome! Thanks again, Richard.
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Re: Here's Dave's Meisselbach

Post by Richard Lodge »

Posting photos of Dave Corbin's cool little "encased" Meisselbach sidemount.

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Wow, someone put a lot of effort into that cage, and quality work to boot. Interesting reel.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Finally found one. Thank you to the reelguys, Skip & Jim
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Interesting.
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

I do need an Expert #22 Meisselbach with front click in good condition if anyone has one. Would appreciate hearing.
Dave
Char_Mender
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Char_Mender »

Is this configuration? It is early
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

thank you however the one I'm after has the gear exposed on the face....other side.