Need handle and nut for Shakes 1973 Sportcast

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Need handle and nut for Shakes 1973 Sportcast

Post by Paul M »

I just cleaned up this narrow spool Shakespeare 1973 Sportcast reel and replaced the clicker tongue only to discover that the handle and nut are totally wrong. The correct handle would be adonized green with light coloured knobs and the required nut is a very deep one. Nothing else in my parts bin fits correctly. If anyone has these parts or a cheapo parts reel for sale, please let me know.

Paul M

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Re: Need handle and nut for Shakes 1973 Sportcast

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Paul I have the handle you are looking for as well as the handle nut. Be happy to mail them to you for free. A cautionary note: if you are planning on fishing with the reel you should know that the original handles are aluminum and very weak when it comes to setting a hook or stopping a big fish on a run. I had two or three literally fold up when landing a large bass. When the gold anodized model came out the handle was changed and much more substantial. I notice your reel has a balsa arbor which was only found on the first year of production with this reel
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Paul I have the handle you are looking for as well as the handle nut. Be happy to mail them to you for free. A cautionary note: if you are planning on fishing with the reel you should know that the original handles are aluminum and very weak when it comes to setting a hook or stopping a big fish on a run. I had two or three literally fold up when landing a large bass. When the gold anodized model came out the handle was changed and much more substantial. I notice your reel has a balsa arbor which was only found on the first year of production with this reel
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Bill:
That's very generous. I will at least cover the postage. Also, thanks for the tip. I'll send you a PM

Paul M