Wanted: Handle nut for EVH 621 3/0

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Wanted: Handle nut for EVH 621 3/0

Post by sdlehr »

I'm excited. Picked up a few 621's from a member here, and I'm chomping at the bit to start working on them. I'm taking a brief pause to consider preserving the patina on one of them.... that one may get just soap/water and some Hot Sauce.

One, a 3/0, arrived with a small crack in the head plate. The seller has graciously donated the reel to me for parts, but truthfully I think it's my favorite and may be the one I keep - but I need a replacement head plate. It's a shame, the crack in the original is minuscule.... I'll practice plate repair after I find a replacement.

EditThe "crack" turned out to disappear after sanding with 400-grit, so I've refunded the refund from the seller. I've edited the title of this post as I no longer need a head plate.

The same reel is missing a handle nut.

Please PM me or reply here if you can help this EVH newb out.

Thanks.
Sid
Sid Lehr
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Wanted: Handle nut for EVH 621 3/0

Post by sdlehr »

Just curious, I'm new to EVH as a maker... is it more than likely that his other 3/0 reels would have the same style and size handle nut, or where things so variable from one reel to another back then that nothing concrete can be said about this...? I don't have but copies of two catalogs to look at pictures (which I haven't done yet, but I think one or both of the catalogs predates the 621).

Sid
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Those nuts varied over the years, Sid, so you will need shaft diameter and TPI to tell.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Sid:
This is a really good book to study before you buy any more EVH reels:

The Celebrated Reels of Edward Vom Hofe
by Ted Bingham
ISBN-13: 978-0615168821 (Paperback – Jan 2007)

Ted's book has been an extremely useful resource for me and is available from online sellers. (NB New copies may be less expensive than used so shop around).
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Paul M wrote:Sid:
This is a really good book to study before you buy any more EVH reels:

The Celebrated Reels of Edward Vom Hofe
by Ted Bingham
ISBN-13: 978-0615168821 (Paperback – Jan 2007)

Ted's book has been an extremely useful resource for me and is available from online sellers. (NB New copies may be less expensive than used so shop around).
Thanks, Paul. I got it straight from Lori Bingham a little over a week ago. It was great for the history of the company and for showing each reel manufactured, but I was disappointed in that it fell a little short on the descriptions of mechanical variations through the years. I would have liked to have seen more pics of opened reels demonstrating these variations.... but that's just me and where I want to go with this, and since he wrote the book he went where he wanted it to go.

Sid
Sid Lehr
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

My thread gauge (finally) arrived. The nut I'm looking for would fit on a screw that is 1/4" major diameter and 30 TPI. Anyone know what "G" means on my thread gauge? It seems to be equivalent to TPI.
Sid Lehr
Ed Rods
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Ed Rods »

sdlehr
I cannot find in any of my handle nuts a 30 pitch thread. The engineering unit for 1/4" is 20, 24, and 32. I believe the G stands for gage. I will keep looking and see what I can come up with.
Thanks Ed
Antique and Vintage reels and reel parts. I like small reels
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Ed Rods wrote:sdlehr
I cannot find in any of my handle nuts a 30 pitch thread. The engineering unit for 1/4" is 20, 24, and 32. I believe the G stands for gage. I will keep looking and see what I can come up with.
Thanks Ed
Thanks, Ed. I'll check again tonight when I get home, but I already did this twice. I'll check against 32 TPI, it can't be 20 or 24, I can't be off by that much.

Sid
Sid Lehr