Wanted: Cycloid Strikemaster reel

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Wanted: Cycloid Strikemaster reel

Post by colby sorrells »

Wanted:
Cycloid Strikemaster reel shown in this ad. Reel will show "Strikemaster" on the foot. Also any Cycloid box, box insert, catalog or other advertisement with this Strikemaster reel. Thanks.
Click on image to enlarge.

Keepin' It Fun

Colby
Last edited by colby sorrells on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Wanted: Cycloid Strikemaster reel

Post by oc1 »

I have no idea Colby. The part that gets my attention is the "amazing centrifugal governor" with thumb control. This would imply an adjustable centrifugal brake. The postal codes date the advert to pre-1963. If I'm not mistaken that would make it the first externally adjustable centrifugal brake.
-steve
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Ad is from August 1948 Sporting Goods Dealer magazine (shows at bottom of ad). Careful on that brake date. Our friend Steve Vernon will quickly correct that to a much earlier date. (I believe this discussion has already been posted elsewhere on this website but I could be wrong.) Cycloid came out with their brake with their first reel in 1946 I believe. This reel is a little later.

Anyone have one of these Strikemaster reels or other info?

Thanks.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

much earlier date
See Reel News, January, 2015, pg. 23.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

My sincere apology to all. Should have searched first. I do not have that Reel News but found your photo of the brake Steve.
http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopi ... e&start=25
It's complicated, but may not be more complicated than modern externally adjustable centrifugal brakes.
-steve
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

The reel I'm looking for will say Cycloid Strikemaster on the foot. Also interested in any box, box insert, catalog or advertisement that shows the Cycloid Strikemaster reel like in the above ad. Thanks to all.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

ORCA member Harvey Siebert could use a Cycloid Strikemaster schematic. If anyone can provide a copy of that drawing, please let me know.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Checked my reference material and no schematics. Still looking for a Cycloid Strikemaster or any paperwork on the Strikemaster. Or even a photo of the Strikemaster reel foot. Reel foot will show Cycloid Strikemaster. Anyone ever see one? Thanks to all.

Colby
pcktknf
Big ORCA Fan

Post by pcktknf »

Hi Colby, I recently came across a Cycloid Strikecaster (not strikemaster) in the box with a typed instruction sheet. The foot includes the words "Pat's Pend" so it was made prior to the patents being issued. Don't know the age, but the printed price on the box is $14.95. Box is in great shape, but has the name and address of the original owner written on the top, and an indication it was sent in for repair in 1968. It is currently consigned to a vintage tackle shop, but I could retrieve it for some pics if you are interested.
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Hey Pocketknife,
Sure would like to see photos. Any help always appreciated. Thanks. Colby
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Colby, I’m not sure if you got images from Pocketknife on this, but there is a Strikecaster with box on Ebay right now.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3585764861
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Thanks James but I'm looking for a Strikemaster not a Strikecaster. I know it's only one letter difference but it's a big difference. Thanks for the note.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby