Wanted: Minnetonka faceplate

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Wanted: Minnetonka faceplate

Post by Paul M »

I am looking to replace the scratched faceplate on this Montague reel marked Minnetonka / Jewelled. If anyone has a cheap/parts reel with an unblemished faceplate I would be interested in buying.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Wanted: Minnetonka faceplate

Post by Don Champion »

Are you certain that is a Montague? Minnetonka reels were made by both Montague & Pflueger. Look at the drive gear, if it has two straight slashes on it then your reel would be a Pflueger.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Don Champion wrote:Are you certain that is a Montague? Minnetonka reels were made by both Montague & Pflueger. Look at the drive gear, if it has two straight slashes on it then your reel would be a Pflueger.
Don:
The main gear does not have the Pflueger witness marks. I originally thought Pflueger when I looked at the font of the yardage mark under the foot but it doesn't have those straight-slash marks on the main gear. [Note that oldreels.com listed Minnetonka as a Montague.] I changed the pinion with one that came out of another reel that was one of those rubber sided montague reels with the steel pivot mark.. like the AL&W I sent you. The replacement pinon is identical and the reel spins like a dream. The original pinion was mushed. Must've caught a big fish or snagged bottom while trolling LOL. Other than the faceplate, it is fine.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I'm not sure now if the faceplate is NPB or solid NS. I may have polished down into brass or perhaps haven't left it long enough in vinegar/water to get rid of a layer of copper in the NS. Same old dilemma.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Your reel is nickle plated brass. The German silver model had the click & drag control on the front.

Last bumped by Paul M on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:10 pm.