WTB decent old multi-piece steel casting rod to use for....

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

WTB decent old multi-piece steel casting rod to use for....

Post by Richard Lodge »

... the ORCA antique tackle fishing contest. I've never fished with an old Bristol or Hamaco or whatever steel rod and I need one that is 4, 5, or 6 piece that I can easily pack for my flight to Branson in a couple weeks. Or, if someone has a rod like this I can use (or buy at the convention, for short money) I would be grateful. Not looking for beauty, just something practical. Let me know what you have! Thanks!
Richard
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: WTB decent old multi-piece steel casting rod to use for....

Post by john elder »

Richard, i have this collapsable metal Champion products rod that opens to 5' that i can bring for you. Haven't decided whether to sell or not but you are welcome to use it!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

John your Handle Rod is from the 1950's. Richard, I can bring a rod as a loaner for you to use. It would help if I knew what kind of reel you plan to use.
Warning: what ever rod I lend you will be one that has had a voodoo curse put on it almost assuring that you will not catch fish---LOL
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks, John and Bill. John, I'll take you up on that rod as a loaner as long as the 1950s-era handle doesn't disqualify me on the lunkers I expect to catch. I'll probably be using a non-level wind Montague "Winner" 60-yard reel. It's a very nice reel, with a NPB center and hard-rubber rims. Spins like a top. I still have to spool some line on it and actually try to cast it before that's a final decision. What better idea than to borrow a rod and use a reel I've never cast as a way to enter a fishing tournament?
:doh:
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

My guess is that reel will not be a great caster but I've been wrong many times before (just ask my wife). The rod I will lend you is a tubular steel True Temper introduced in 1934. It is a wonderful rod that will surprise you how light it is as well as having beautiful action. Should your reel prove an inadequate caster I would suggest a Pflueger Nobby (introduced 1938) and a braided nylon line of 10 or 12 lb test. With a bit of practice, you will be a threat in the casting contest.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The collapsable is a Champion products CB rod. I guess I'm surprised it would date that late, but need to do my research. Richard, I believe Wild Bill is suggesting it will disqualify you...think the cut-off...which seems to have great liquidity...is currently 1940.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

John I wrote an article about the Handle Rod for Dr Todd but Photobucket has made it unusable. I agree the rod looks pre-1940 and is made from Beryllium Copper. I was advertised through the 1950's 1960's and there is one report that it was sold in the early 1970's. The only two I have seen in original packaging were in Blister Packs!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

yes, found you Bill: Here the important factoids and I stole the ad off Google...PB couldn't screw up the pic they took from your article!

"Fairly regularly a Champion Products “Handle Rod” shows up on Joe's Board with questions as to its identity and its age. The following ads come from the February 1951 issue of Sports Afield and the March 1957 issue of Field & Stream. I particularly like the suggestions as to where the compact Handle Rod can be carried, such as in the "glove compartment" or my personal favorite the “Brief Case.” I actually met an older man a few years ago who carried one rigged with his favorite lure in his car trunk. As he had occasion to drive, he would stop at bridges over interesting looking streams and take a few cast to satisfy his curiosity."

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Be careful of that Beryllium copper if you ever have the occasion to work with it and make a fine dust.... keep it wet.... it's nasty stuff and a class I carcinogen, causes a nasty lung disease called Berylliosis. No known hazard in its current solid form. You just don't want to breathe the dust.... I believe some clicker springs are also made of the same material, that's where I first encountered it.
Sid Lehr
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

yes, but it's not toxic to the touch, only to friable and breathable particles.
(the real concern is laborers involved in manufacturing - especially machining)
They are also the most desirable of the metal rods.
It's one of the strongest copper alloys and should weather extremely well.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Ron Mc wrote:yes, but it's not toxic to the touch, only to friable and breathable particles.
(the real concern is laborers involved in manufacturing - especially machining)
They are also the most desirable of the metal rods.
It's one of the strongest copper alloys and should weather extremely well.
Works really well as a lightning rod, too. :fished So get off the water ASAP if you hear thunder or see lightning off in the far distance. :D
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027