130lb Wood Octagon Tycoon Type Rod?

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Sharkpro789
Frequent Board Poster

130lb Wood Octagon Tycoon Type Rod?

Post by Sharkpro789 »

Looks to be a 130lb wood octagon shaped tycoon rod. Don't know much about was seeing if anyone had any info on it or value on it. Pretty badass rod very hard to bend. No markings on the rod. Possibly looking to sell or trade for early penn reel boxes.

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: 130lb Wood Octagon Tycoon Type Rod?

Post by wrong99 »

It appears to be "hexagon" (6-sided) in the photos.
Mark
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

its cool looking but Not Tycoon, The Butt, reel seat, shape, guides, tip top - all are not Tycoon for sure. That being said i still like it, and sent you a PM.

thanks! and good luck regardless
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Can you post a closeup pic' of one of the guides? I think I have a rod like this one.

John
Sharkpro789
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Sharkpro789 »

Thanks everyone but it's sold!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

:shock: Zirilli strikes again!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Not this time !! I grabbed it and have started cleaning it up. Slow going the varnish is very hard coming off !! John Taylor
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Did you try denatured alcohol too John. It might be a spirit finish.
-steve
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Steve
I did try the denatured alcohol and it worked but if you look at rod the finish is all blotchy and in big clumps. You have to work to get them off ! John E. said to try Citri-Strip so I will try that and see what happens ! Thanks Steve ! John Taylor
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Yeah, that is like an extreme case of alligatoring. It may have been kept in an attic where there were frequent and wide swings in temperature. If the solvents start to reamalgamate the finish, but do not remove it, the globs will become even more difficult to remove. Did you try using a sharp scraping blade with a light touch..... just hitting the high spots. A scraper will fracture the finish and chip away enough so that the rest can be removed with solvents.
-steve
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Try a piece of softwood (pine) that has been squared, like a piece of molding. The "sharp" edge works great on the old varnish and is to soft to hurt the wood.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

I have an old butter knife that's completely dull that I use with a light touch. Trying to save thread although once varnish is off it's dam purple so it might get retied !!! Thanks for all the tips !! I will post pictures when I have it done. John Taylor
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Well Citri Strip was the winner !! Around 3 applications for most of rod a few more in tuff spots. I used a stiff toothbrush and pieces of that 3M brand stripping pads worked good. I was able to save wraps with only a little bit of fraying where finish came off hard.

After stripping I put on a light coat of linseed oil and let it sit for a few hours then wipped off all excess then it sat near wood stove for a couple weeks. It now has 2 coats of Spar Varnish on wraps and will get maybe 2 more.

I am happy the way it came out other than the color but it has darkened up to more of a blue purple color. Heck looking at pics it's PURPLE !! Below are a couple pictures of the new look.
Thanks ! John Taylor

1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

That turned out great John!!
-Chris R.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Nice work John! I'll have to send you a couple more! The guides look familiar. It's got a west coast look to them. Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Nick
Please let me know if you have an idea who made the guides ? My buddy has a rod with similar guides we a pretty sure were made by same company only difference is his have small rollers at the bottom of rings ? Please any one who can let me know who made the guides jump in with info !! Thanks John Taylor

My guides

Guides off my buddies rod.

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

1badf350 wrote:That turned out great John!!
Thanks Chris !
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I had a set of these guides in their original white cardboard box with red and black lettering many years ago. They were laid out by size in the box and made a nice display. I do not remember the name of the company that made them but I do remember that they were made in Miami Florida and, that is the only reason I remember them at all.

I will try and dig up more info on them but “Made in Miami” is a place for you to start your research. I hope this helps.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

It came out great John. Are there any markings on your Buddy's rod. Is it hickory? Thanks.
-steve
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

First Ed thanks for reply ! I looked around internet but still haven't found those guides so if you ever remember the company name or come across it please let me know.

Steve there are no marks on my buddies rod either but the did both turn up in Florida !!

John Taylor
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

Hi Scott,
I am looking for a nice older rod for my Coxe 9/0 wide reel. Also looking for some rods with Mildrum guides.

Cheers Paul
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Maybe I don't know what an octagon is anymore, but this rod has nothing on it reminiscent of such that I can see. Can someone please clear this up for me. Thanks.
Sid Lehr
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

[quote="sdlehr"]Maybe I don't know what an octagon is anymore, but this rod has nothing on it reminiscent of such that I can see. Can someone please clear this up for me. Thanks.[/quote

Your right my rod is a Hexagon ! I stand corrected. John Taylor