FOUND IT - Part Needed for 12/0 Zwarg Restoration

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

FOUND IT - Part Needed for 12/0 Zwarg Restoration

Post by Deepfins791 »

I am looking for a sliding oil port cover for a 12/0 Zwarg reel. Picture attached. I understand the gentleman who bought all the remaining inventory of spare Zwarg parts had a supply of these covers, and handed them out at shows as gifts. I would also purchase the German silver base that the cover is pinned to, if it was also available. The cover is the same size as one on a 9/0 (confirmed), and possibly a 6/0 (unconfirmed). I would purchase an entire parts reel, if necessary.

Thanks for any help!
John

Last edited by Deepfins791 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: Part Needed for 12/0 Zwarg Restoration

Post by 54bullseye »

Nice reel John !!! JT
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Any idea how that was damaged as it was?
Sid Lehr
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

More than likely the pin the cover swivels on broke, so they soldered the cover to the base. Unfortunately, in doing so, they damaged it beyond what a little steel wool and Simichrome would fix.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

We forgot to look at that at Bakersfield! I wonder if some serious heat might get rid of the solder and allow cleanup? Throw it in the mail and I can see what damage I might do!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

John it right. If its solder it's soft enough and easy enough to be heated and brushed off plus a replacement would be a hard find! Tight Lines & Good luck Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I have some Zwarg parts. Is this it?

Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Shucks, Ron, at about 5/8th's inch that is soooooo close. I believe your cover is off a 1/0 or 2/0 reel. My cover is about 3/4" in diameter. If Zwarg covers are like EVH covers, they increased in diameter to about 3/4th's on the 3/0 and larger size reels. Do you have a junky parts reel I could buy? Thank you very much for looking!

I wish it was just solder, but I have looked at the damaged area with a magnifier, and rubbed and rubbed it with polish. It looks to me like the GS has been damaged. At any rate, I am going to have to apply heat to it to free the cover from the base, anyway, so John, maybe while I am looking for a replacement, I'll send it to you, and you can futz with it a bit.

Thanks, guys!
JB
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

If you think the parts are the same on the bigger reels, I would sacrifice another smaller Zwarg, like a 6/0, and remove and replace the part on the 12/0. A damaged 6/0 is better than a 12/0.
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Re: FOUND IT - Part Needed for 12/0 Zwarg Restoration

Post by Deepfins791 »

I agree, Ron. If you know of one floating around somewhere, let me know.