If you like fishing reels . . .

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

If you like fishing reels . . .

Post by David Lehmann »

Reel Talk, ORCAOnline, Fishing Reel Research, Bronson Reels, Ocean City Reels are just some of the valuable online resources brought to you, free of charge, by the Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA). If you are an ORCA Member, you receive The Reel News, the leading information source about antique and collectible reels, as well as affordable shows and conventions at a low fee. And, ORCA is in the process of making electronic copies of well over 1,000 vintage fishing tackle catalogs and schematics available to all members, at no additional charge.

But ORCA needs your help! ORCA is a non-profit educational organization dedicated to promoting valuable information about reels. All of the resources that we provide to members and non-members cost money: printers fees, author honorariums, web-hosting fees, storage fees, supplies and space rental fees, and the list goes on. ORCA members’ fees help cover the cost of providing services to you, but we also rely upon the generosity of members and non-members who value the information and services we provide.

Can you, members and non-members, donate to help ORCA recover some of the costs of services we provide? An easy way to donate money is to go to https://www.orcaonline.org/about-orca/donate/. Also, we love to receive nice reels that we can auction to support ORCA. If you have reels you are willing to donate, please drop us a line at http://www.orcaonline.org/about-orca/contact/ about the reels, and we will contact you about arrangements. All donations of money and reels are tax deductible.

If you like antique and collectible reels, and you are not a member of ORCA, please consider joining. It’s a great value, and you will be helping to support the hobby you love!
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Re: If you like fishing reels . . .

Post by OCauto »

I would like to see O.R.C.A. hold their own auctions online auctions again. I thought they were lots of fun and brought a level of friendship and friendly one upmanship to the auction. I won't donate any reels to be auctioned on E-Bay. If I wanted to see my reels sell, I would sell them myself.
Just my opinion.
Al Stover
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Al, I agree that our auctions were fun and see no reason why we can't do both. However, it takes participation to make it work. I held an auction here a couple weeks back (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20992) in which I put up a reel donated by Bob Miller, along with about 8 of my own....some excellent...some no so much..Bids were solicited for a week's duration; winning bidders sent money to ORCA and I ate the postage. So, for 5 auctions, I received less than 10 bids total. The Club made a bit of money and I made a dent in my spare reels, but the participation was by a handful (one hand) of club faithfuls. I would suspect the Club made about half what they would have made on Ebay with potential participation by hundreds...postage paid by bidders.

Wayne Benson did an excellent job of holding auctions here for the Club a few years back with similar issues. So, if everyone participates, we can make it work; if not, then it's wasting a lot of time and effort for little gain.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
67yardbird
Big ORCA Fan

Post by 67yardbird »

i like the idea of donating to help the club and will be going through some things to see what i can offer. i also find it interesting the idea of having orca auctions on it's own away from ebay. it cost money to list on ebay, so that cuts into any profits made. in order for orca auctions to be truly successful we would need to find away to reach potential buyers. how could these auctions be promoted ? social media would be one way. getting orca members to share links to the auctions on their personal facebook or twitter accounts would certainly have an impact. perhaps links could be shared on other sites that promote fishing. I know AL (ocuato ) has at least 5 websites that could advertise orca auctions. all the members here love reels and want to promote the clubs agenda. the trick is to reach those folks who don't yet know that they love collecting reels. maybe we need to make up flyers and hand them out at local high schools. young people have a luster for things in life. us old guys don't shine so brightly anymore LOL...
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

I agree with John's comments above. Having conducted several auctions for ORCA I can attest to the fact that we had a few, but very generous donors, and many of the donors were a part of the small group of bidders. I think outsiders (non-members) tend to be reluctant to participate in an auction run by an organization with which they are not familiar. We know we are a great group of people trying to promote the hobby. They do not. eBay, as bad as it is, is very good at offering a bidder protection when he participates in an auction. eBay opens our donated reels up to the world, literally. We just don't have the power or security that eBay offers. I hated to see some of the reels I auctioned sell at ridiculously low prices because of our small audience.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com