What are the Hurd "Super-caster" serial numbers??

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
1laketrout
Frequent Board Poster

What are the Hurd "Super-caster" serial numbers??

Post by 1laketrout »

Information NEEDED!! Looking at the stamped numbers and letters on the several Hurd reels I've seen, in my brief look for them, there is no way they can be sequential, just production, serial numbers! The range and amount can't be the production figures--they have to be coded in some way--like vin numbers on our cars--that give each piece a trackable "pedigree". So, now comes the question--has anyone ever "cracked" these strange identifications? Their appears to be no published "key" to them! As a "newbie", they are, to say the least, perplexing to me--the real, true mystery of these strange reels. If anyone can "enlighten" me, it would be greatly appreciated. What does each number, and or letter, tell us about that particular assembly? Does it tie to a plant's, parts component list--production dates--customer ID--model changes/variations to order--rod length and flex(one of twelve!) attached at manufacture--various materials used in part/assembly construction--what are the letters and numbers, when present together(not both on all reels always!), saying about these 40's/50's rods and reels that can be actually tracked--not just guessed at?? Is there a published key? Some astute members have to have put a "definite" handle on this issue--my hope is that someone will allow me to be brought into the "light"! Thanks for any and all input. Gary (734) 258-8796