Ari 't Hart Rainbow

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
LuckyStrike
Big ORCA Fan

Ari 't Hart Rainbow

Post by LuckyStrike »

I hope this reel isn't too modern to fit into the ORCA forum but it is a recent find and I believe quite interesting.

Somewhere along the way I saw reference to a book on ATH reels but so far not seen one for sale.

Trying to research this 1990's fly reel and possibly get a realistic value before offering it for sale

In 95% condition with only a few teeny handling marks , original leather cases and xtra spool..

Any insight would be very appreciated

Tighjt Lines

Lucky
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Ari 't Hart Rainbow

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Not to worry, "Old" reel collectors collect newer reels, too, and they also fish, so most any reel is fair game for discussion, especially collectibles. :D

Sorry but I can't help you with information on your book or value, though.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You are, indeed, a lucky strike, sir! At least on Gary Siemer's sales site, it shows this reel selling for just under $3k. Considering commissions, etc, $2500 plus/minus 200 would be a fair estimate. Member Richard Lodge, I believe, has spent quality time with Ari T Hart reels, so might have other insights, as would several others including Ron Gast and Ed Pritchard. Nice score!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
LuckyStrike
Big ORCA Fan

Post by LuckyStrike »

A big thank you to John and Tommy!

I do very much appreciate your input... This reel is a very unusual find indeed and I am quite surprised to hear of the possible value. Mind you, I had heard of AT Hart reels, possibly seen a few online over the years but never owned one.
It is extremely smooth, has an unreal drag system and reasonable light for its capacity ... currently loaded up with a WF floating 9 and also a 9 sink tip line.

From the tiny bit of research I could find via google, the finish is called OPAL , and though the photos look plain grey, it is rather luminous and very pleasing.

So John, if I were to offer this reel/spool combo at around $2400.00 ?? Might be a fair price?

Tight Lines and thank you both again for your input.

Lucky :fished
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, askin’ aint gettin’ but it doesn’t seem out of line as a starting point. Keep in mindcthe reel may have sold for less through unseen negotiation but seems unlikely to be less than $2k. Also keep in mind this is a comp of 1! Its all about finding the right buyer.... and maybe not getting too greedy!i :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
LuckyStrike
Big ORCA Fan

Post by LuckyStrike »

john elder wrote:Well, askin’ aint gettin’ but it doesn’t seem out of line as a starting point. Keep in mindcthe reel may have sold for less through unseen negotiation but seems unlikely to be less than $2k. Also keep in mind this is a comp of 1! Its all about finding the right buyer.... and maybe not getting too greedy!i :D
Well said John ... The only other reference I saw on this reel was a black one that sold (asking was $2950)

I would certainly entertain offers from anyone interested and possibly make a trade or part trade against Hardy reels, Canadian Reels I need or lures.

Thank you again for your excellent advice and comments

Lucky ... :fished
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Woohoo! Way to go, Lucky! That must have sold before you got through hitting the return key!!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Very nice Ari 't Hart reel. I like John's assessment: "Askin' ain't gettin'." ATH reels are collected by what I think is a very small group of people who love his work for the unique designs, the fantastic machining and the fact that he's as much of a designer as a reelmaker, if you get my drift. Heck, the guy made and marketed a "grease watch" - a completely useless bit of bling, if you ask me (but you didn't really ask me, did you?) - that sells for hundreds of bucks on that auction site, the name of which escapes me now. I've owned a handful of ATH reel, including the one like that which is in the permanent collection of MOMA in NYC (a sale I might regret til I die, by the way). They're fun to fish, but it scared the heck out of me to fish them for fear I would scratch them and somehow bespoil said reel. So I sold them all. Ah, but that MOMA-style reel, that one still owns a piece o' my heart, even if I don't own the reel.
Good luck with this one. If it doesn't sell, you can still (gasp :o ) fish with it.
LuckyStrike
Big ORCA Fan

Post by LuckyStrike »

Just wanted to thank everyone once again for their assistance and comments... The reel is sold pending payment and there was quite a bit of interest in it from others.

Its very cool.. Just wish I could have kept it myself, but too many other areas that keep me scratching!

Tight Lines

Lucky

PS... I also joined ORCA this week but problems with my member name so hopefully it can be sorted out! I look forward to being a contributor when I am able!
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Here's a clue re: that book you mentioned
Sid Lehr
LuckyStrike
Big ORCA Fan

Post by LuckyStrike »

sdlehr wrote:Here's a clue re: that book you mentioned
Thank you very much! Now I know the name of the book ... This reel company is a tough one to research!

Tight Lines

Lucky