F/S- H-I South Sea 93 MIB bakelite old vintage BIG fish bay & boat reel!

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

F/S- H-I South Sea 93 MIB bakelite old vintage BIG fish bay & boat reel!

Post by JoeW »

AW96 Classic, old vintage H-I South Sea 93 bakelite BIG fish bay & boat reel! MIB!

Definitely the nicest example of this stye of reel I’ve ever come across, and in the original box! Big 450 yd bay and boat reel, sold as the “South Sea” by Horrocks-Ibbotson, Utica, NY probably 1930’s. Marbled brown/black bakelite construction. Strong click, free spool lever. Reel foot has a tiny V-notch on it- I think just to make it attach to certain rods more securely.

Reel is in perfect condition! No chips or breaks in the bakelite, no corrosion on metal. Has strong line on it, which I left on, but I sincerely do not think it’s ever been used. Box is in good solid condition, a few dents and pokes and the top is faded. Label is excellent! Terrific graphics on the box of a leaping Tarpon!

It’s heavy, but I’ll ship it postpaid! Free shipping! Fingers crossed that the buyer lives nearby!

More pics and details at my Etsy shop. You can pay their as a guest with credit card or Paypal, or email me for Paypal, check, or Money Order. Forgot to mention- I have a lot of other reels available at Etsy. Nothing rare or earth shattering, but new or casual collectors should have a field day! Lots of lures, too! Link:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures? ... d=18159907

Thanks for taking the time! Best--- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC, ORCA)

Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Re: F/S- H-I South Sea 93 MIB bakelite old vintage BIG fish bay & boat reel!

Post by JoeW »

Wow- surprise! After the discussion on line on vs. line off, I carded the line from that South Sea to take a peak at the spool condition, and lo and behold! The sides of the spool are a beautiful "tortoise shell" bakelite! This is one reel that will definitely look better with line off! I will include the carded line with the real when it sells. Spool is in perfect condition like the rest of the reel, too! Thank you gentlemen- ya learnt me gud! Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC, ORCA)
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Well Mr. Joe, I rest my case! What a beautiful spool!

Reeltyme
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Yea, I was really surprised! After all the replies to my other post, I've now amended my "plan" so that I remove all line from reels. If there's damage to the spool, then the line gets chucked. If there's no damage on the spool from the line, for reels I'm keeping, I'll decide if the line actually adds anything to the reel's presentation or not. If it does, line goes back on. If not, then it stays carded for some future use.

For reels I hope to pass off, the line will stay carded (to give potential buyer a view of the spool), but will be included in the package with the reel.

Sound like a good compromise? I still do think that some reels do look better & ready-to-go with some speckled or fancy line on them. But that's just a matter of individual preference.

Hey- I gotta thank ORCA for this venue! And JoeW is fine for a moniker-- LOL! "Mr Joe" was what my 10th graders used to call me! Had to keep it simple for them! Best---- JoeW (WNYTC, ORCA)

PS- The South Sea is still available!