Need a pinion gear approx 7/16" diameter - straight teeth

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Need a pinion gear approx 7/16" diameter - straight teeth

Post by Paul M »

I need a pinion gear approx 7/16" diameter with straight teeth. This is for a seldom seen Canadian level-wind reel called a Never Miss by M.E.W. I tried several common pinions from my Pflueger/Shakes/Inglis parts kits but this one needs to be larger... around 7/16" dia. Not sure if this is a US made trade reel but I don't think so. I am including several pics in case it is familiar to someone. I guess the original pinion was stripped and the prior owner removed it, leaving me no clues as to what it is supposed to look like.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Need a pinion gear approx 7/16" diameter - straight teeth

Post by john elder »

Paul, you will almost certainly have to sub in the whole set, main and pinion, to have any hope of them meshing together and almost certainly will need to come from the same model reel. I seem to recall that early penns were straight gears, as were early JVH... but don’t hold me to that. I’m awayfrom my reels for an exam at the moment
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

uhhh.... the main gear is in a stack with the level wind gear and I have not yet looked at how easy it would be to separate the gears. Finding a donor, if this is truly a one hit wonder Canadian reel, is a low probability.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

the gear in my finger is from the spool shown,and that is from an ocean city imperial star drag reel,that does look like your needed part but not up to 7/16.

the other gears are misc. some are 7/16 but the wrong configurations and would need machine work for the shaft hole and keyed drive if it was lucky enough to have the correct dia and gear tooth mesh.