Question Mitchell 499 reel

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Robster68
Big ORCA Fan

Question Mitchell 499 reel

Post by Robster68 »

Hi All,

I have got a Mitchell 499 in good condition fully functioning for sale but do not know how much to put it up for sale for.
Does any one have any ideas?

Regards,

Robster
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

Presume you mean, besides searching ebay's Completed Items listings?

On here, with your minimal description, expect only a ballpark. For most collectors its Condition, Condition, Condition & good photos will be needed.

I collect Mitchells, mostly to restore & still want a 499, they don't turn up often & prices vary widely. As a 'lefty' it can run hot or cold based on condition, less desireable to put ot use & more to add to a collection. As a 'beater' it might only draw $25-$50 & would need to be pretty or find a hungry buyer to go much higher.
Robster68
Big ORCA Fan

Mitchell 499

Post by Robster68 »

I have checked the ebay completed listings and the vary. I will take some pictures and post them. By the way this is a right handed reel does this make any differance?
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Re: Mitchell 499

Post by Araye50 »

The handedness in spinning reels is determined by which hand you hold the rod with-not which hand you crank with.
Robster68 wrote: By the way this is a right handed reel does this make any differance?
Mitchell's 'normal' spinning reels all have even model numbers, thus the 498 is the ordinary reel that most regular right handed people would want to use in this series. While a 498 is not a common reel, there were very many more sold than the dramatically less popular 'lefty' version-the 499.

Also keep in mind that there were several different incarnations of the 498/499 over the years. The common versions have the traditional engraved Mitchell logo on black body. Later plastic logo & gray knob/spool versions are hard to find, hence my comment about the "minimal description".
Robster68
Big ORCA Fan

Images

Post by Robster68 »

Hi

If you look in the Picture Repository under todays date 20 Nov 2007 03:30 ish you will see img_001 (small).jpg to img_005 (small).jpg

I hope this gives you a better idea of the type of reel I have

Regards,

Robert

PS if you want bigger picture I can email them to you?

(here you go! :wink: )
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

That's IMG_0001 through 0005

http://orcaonline.org/... 1%20(Small).JPG
Robster68
Big ORCA Fan

For Sale

Post by Robster68 »

Hi all,

I have located a similar 499 type reel on Ebay (see link below). Mine does not have the box but as you can see from my photo's it is in good condition. I would be looking in the £100 GBP mark plus the buyer would have to pay for world wide p&p as I am in the Isle Of Man

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MITCHELL-499-REE ... dZViewItem
oandyo
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Question Mitchell 499 reel

Post by oandyo »

Sorry mitchell series pro 499