Pflueger Acron #1895, Question about the handle.

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Pflueger Acron #1895, Question about the handle.

Post by Charged »

I just recently started cleaning one of these up. I see how the button in the middle of the handle can free up the spool for casting, but is the dial just for show? The dial on my reel is not threaded, so I do not see how turning it accomplishes anything.

What am I missing, or was the dial really all for show?

I currently have the reel all dissembled, but here is a Photo of the handle type in question:

Last edited by Charged on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

you aren't missing anything...it doesn't turn and as far as I know, the "star" shape is just for looks and to house the spring action...and it is handsome, one must admit. this is the freespool version of the reel...the Akron, Summit, Skilcast, Supreme, and Knobby all came with and without that freespool set-up...think that was in a particular time fram, but I don't know my history well enough...BB will know as will others.
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

Thanks John, That was fast. Well after much fussing my dial can now turn, That could be to excessive fiddling on my part, but after I got it dissembled, and looked at the design, that's when I started to question why it was even there.

It does look like it is designed to slip though, as there are two drag washers on each side of it. At least I assumed there drag washers.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ah, it's been too long since I've had one of those apart...I should have kept my mouth shut and let someone else help you. I'm away from my reels and info..someone will come to the rescue. I just recalled that it doesn't twist like you might expect a "star drag" to do.

Ah, just had a thought...can't you adjust drag tension by tightening or loosening that screw in the center?
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

I re-assembled the reel, and think that I might have it figured out.

It looks like the handle might be designed to slip if there is too much pressure applied. Since I don't see any way to easily adjust the tension of the slip without taking the reel apart, I'm not sure if this slipping of the handle is really designed to be a drag function. The ability to slip, may just be there to protect the internal gearing of the reel. Like stated, it doesn't appear that the dial really has a functions other than to hold the spring that releases the spool.

There are three screws on the underside of the handle, that adjust the tension on the two washers that surround the handle, The only problem with that, is if you take the handle off, its very difficult to put back on, without taking the rest of the reel apart, and applying pressure to the inside of the main gear.

All of this is just a guess to its function.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

The drag system on the 1895 is easily adjusted (if assembled correctly and everything is working) by simply turning the six pointed dial as one would a star drag. The big difference is that most any reel with a star drag has an anti-reverse setting and as the drag slips one does not have to hold onto the handle to make the whole thing work.. In the case of the 1895 the handle functions the same as a Cub Handle does on a 1573 Supreme. In either case you can use your thumb or hang onto the handle using this slip function as a drag if your thumb wears out. The big difference is that with the cub handle you have to get out a screw driver and adjust the six small screws until the slip function (drag) is to your liking, then you have to live with it during a fight with a fish. With the newer system as on the 1895 you can adjust the drag while in the middle of fighting a fish.
Saublejohn
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Pflueger Acron #1895, Question about the handle.

Post by Saublejohn »

I have a Pfluger Acron 1895. The star dial does not turn at all! What do I have to do to enable it to turn? Please help me out on this problem.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Acron #1895, Question about the handle.

Post by Bill Sonnett »

if you can get the handle assembly off (see picture in earlier post) soak in in KROIL that should break in loose.